C220 -2002 - W203 Will Not Turnover/Start

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

le_ginge

Car
W203 C220 Auto - 52 Plate
Hi. My C220 has started developing a starting issue, I pulled up at a level crossing turned off the engine. When i tried to restart it i turned the key and there was nothing not even a click.

Played around with the gear lever knocking it back and forth and about 20 minutes later it started, drove home without an hitch, got it home turned it off, turned it back on and it started straight away. I moved the gear selector throught the gearbox a couple of times turned it off and now it won't start again.

Can anybody shed some light on this problem.

Thanks.

Might help if you tell us if it is an auto or manual, have never tried to start my auto without it being in park but I am guessing it won't. But you can turn it off in most other positions.

Hi Ginge i assume that you are thinking that it is an inhibitor switch problem ? My guess and it is only a guess would tend to point towards a starter motor fault or a loose battery terminal.Im pretty sure someone more qualified than me will soon come along and give you the correct diagnosis:D

Crank position sensor ?

Could be immobiliser or EIS (electronic ignition switch) issue.

If it does it again, take the key out, lock the car and unlock it again and try again.

Crank position sensor ?

A CPS fault would not prevent the starter from operating.

There is an inhibitor switch to prevent the car from being started in gear. You should only be allowed to start the car in Park or Neutral

Last edited:
Many thanks for all your responses, I bit the bullet and took it into the dealers, they could not find any fault codes on the diagnostic check and the sensors were fine.

The Service Manager informed me that is mostly likely an internal fault on the starter motor the reason for no fault codes, but couldn't be sure.

At £550 for a new starter fitted, I need to be sure so have taken the option to wait and see if the problem persists and leads to the starter. (Which by the way sounds fine when its turning the engine over).

The old girl has been behavin' herself for the last week and I haven't had a repeat performance, but will bear in mind all of the above.

Well it's happen agained, 2 AA mechanics later and the problem was diagnosed as a starter motor fault.

Had it recovered to the dealers still wasn't working when it was dropped off. 2 hours later the MB mechanic went out to it and it started first time.

Got the we're not sure phone call, yet a again the diagnostic tests showed nothing and because it was starting now they couldn't properly diagnose if it was the Starter or the front SAM which was on their suspect list.

I made the decision and went with the AA on this one has they checked the circuit when the starter wasn't turning and they got a current at the solenoid when the key was turned.

I picked up a refurb'd Lucas starter for £150 - £250 cheaper than the MB replacement price. MB fitted it for the booked labour. "Touch Wood" she seems to be fine now.

About the same issue..

Hi, I'm new here...
I have C220 CDi Auto 2003 (52 reg)
bought the car not so long ago, I have random starting issue.
when key is in position to run the starter - sometimes it just clicks once, sometimes it fires up like there's no issue... sometimes it takes over 10 or 20 attempts to start (like lottery, you never know).. Today after work decided to make a video of the process, in the video it was 2 attempts when it just clicked, 3rd attempt - started..check the link below. any suggestions where should I start? :confused: According to my little research online - it seems that its solenoid problem, its like a relay:)confused:) on the starter motor.. but I'm no expert, so it could be anything... Thank You! :dk:
C220 CDi Auto 2003 random starting issue - YouTube

Hi, I'm new here...
I have C220 CDi Auto 2003 (52 reg)
bought the car not so long ago, I have random starting issue.
when key is in position to run the starter - sometimes it just clicks once, sometimes it fires up like there's no issue... sometimes it takes over 10 or 20 attempts to start (like lottery, you never know).. Today after work decided to make a video of the process, in the video it was 2 attempts when it just clicked, 3rd attempt - started..check the link below. any suggestions where should I start? :confused: According to my little research online - it seems that its solenoid problem, its like a relay:)confused:) on the starter motor.. but I'm no expert, so it could be anything... Thank You! :dk:
C220 CDi Auto 2003 random starting issue - YouTube

Try the spare key (if you have one), it might be a key issue.

unfortunately i have only one key... i think its not the key because all lights go on, and that "ticking" sound is from under the bonnet- so it makes me think there is response to the key.. but not further then starter.... anyway trying to get warranty people to sort it for me.. i just bought it like less then a week ago...Thank You

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom