C220 2011 W204 rear driver side lights

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Muna34

Car
Mercedes C220 CDI
Hi all,

I was wondering if someone could help with an issue I have with the rear driver side lights.

A message came on the dash a few days ago saying rear foglamp, brakw lamp and side lamp needed replacing, although when I checked them all they seemed to be working but were dim.

Then another message appeared saying change the rear indicator light and when indicating left the noise of the indicator clicking with some speed.

I decided to change the rearfog lamp/ side lamp and brake lamp. However they still seem dim compared to the passenger ones. I have checked the reverse lights and indicator lights and they both work fine and the message to say change the indicator light has disappeared. I hope this all makes sense.

I am not too sure why this is happening and hoping some could shed some light on it (pun not intended)

I fell into this trap a few weeks back, and although they looked alright there are multiple bulbs and one of them had failed, so just check all the bulbs

Disconnect the electrical plug going to the lamps and lock for burnt out connectors.

this^ Very common to burn the earth pin, leading to failure reports for multiple bulbs in the same lamp. Earth is common to them all.

Great stuff guys, that is exactly what has happened. Any idea how much it would cost to fix?

The earth wire seems to have burned out.

There is a rough and ready field-repair that will get you back in the race. Identify the earth track on the bulb holder unit, it’s the big track that feeds the body of all the bulbs. Drill a small hole in a convenient place on that track. Use a jumper wire with a ring tag crimped onto it. Self tapping screw the ring tag to the hole you drilled. Scotchlok (oof) or solder the wire to the earth cable before it gets to the terminal block.

A proper repair is a new bulb holder unit and a loom repair kit from Mercedes.

Thanks for the advice. I will have to wait until mercedes opens or take it to a garage that can repair it. I dont think I will have a go as will most likely make it worse.

None 9f the bulbs are working any more, I think it is because I tried to pull the connector out. Is it safe to drive around until I get to a garage, could also be a while as many are not opened.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom