C220 66 Plate Estate Sunroof exploding

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Scottyj10

Car
GLC300 Coupe
Doing 5mph last night stopping behind a car at a junction this happened , sounded like a shotgun had gone off, clean the car weekly, no marks or chips on the roof. has anyone had anything similar happen?

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 68
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    51.4 KB · Views: 69
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    53.5 KB · Views: 64
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    97.5 KB · Views: 66
  • 5.jpg
    5.jpg
    56.9 KB · Views: 64
  • 6.jpg
    6.jpg
    62.6 KB · Views: 63
  • 7.jpg
    7.jpg
    63.7 KB · Views: 65
A stone hitting it could cause the glass to shatter, just like to old toughened windscreens of years ago
Was the roof open at the time?

A stone hitting it could cause the glass to shatter, just like to old toughened windscreens of years ago
Was the roof open at the time?
It was open a jar, but no passing traffic i was actually stationary went it went pop, no chance of any stone causing it.

A friend of mine had exactly the same happen on a brand new BMW 3 series GT.. no stone... nothing.. just driving along... BMW disputed it for ages until he gave the car back and told them to shove it as it showered his wife 2 and 4 year old with glass.....

Whoa! That must have been a shock :eek:

The only times I've read about MB Pano Roofs breaking is when there has been stone damage, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone.

Tempered glass will always have inherent stresses in it and it only takes a minor imperfection in it somewhere to act as a stress concentrator and at some point it will let go. There are lots of stories on the net about glass table tops and glass oven doors exploding for exactly that reason. A friend of mine was cleaning his teeth one morning when his glass double sink exploded. As he said, it was fortunate it happened where it did - in the bathroom - as he didn't have too far to go to clean up ;)

It's being recovered to Mercedes in Aylesbury, got a feeling i'll have a fight on my hand, don't suppose they're cheap to replace.

Covered under your motor insurance?

Covered under your motor insurance?
My friend does my insurance, he's said he will have a look to see if it will affect my NCB, going to see what Merc says, i've actually been in a meeting with the DVSA this morning as we supply cars for testing, so he's said to log it down as a serious defect and they're duty bound to contact Mercedes to see if it's becoming common.

Last edited:
My friend has exactly the same thing happen to him, in a brand new GLA. Stationary in traffic and it just exploded. MB didn't want to know, so he got shot of it and bought went to Audi.
This was in Cape Town, South Africa.

I too have heard of this but only previously with BMW's - not that it's an everyday issue, you understand.

I had this happen to my Hyundai sunroof, probably sixteen years ago, whilst the car was just sitting outside the house, a neighbour came and told me as he was in his garden and heard it go. Autoglass replaced it without any problems

I understand that sunroofs do not fall under the insured glass in cars and is treated as a body panel.
When this happened to me I lost some of my no claims bonus and increased premiums

Whoa! That must have been a shock :eek:

The only times I've read about MB Pano Roofs breaking is when there has been stone damage, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone.

Tempered glass will always have inherent stresses in it and it only takes a minor imperfection in it somewhere to act as a stress concentrator and at some point it will let go. There are lots of stories on the net about glass table tops and glass oven doors exploding for exactly that reason. A friend of mine was cleaning his teeth one morning when his glass double sink exploded. As he said, it was fortunate it happened where it did - in the bathroom - as he didn't have too far to go to clean up ;)
A glass double sink ? is your mate Elton John by any chance ? :p I did have a glass Pyrex dish full of chicken noodle soup go off like a bomb on the gas hob a few months ago, my wife told me I shouldn't put clear Pyrex directly on the gas (I have been doing it for ages :eek:)'.

It took her forever to clean the mess up o_O

I understand that sunroofs do not fall under the insured glass in cars and is treated as a body panel.
When this happened to me I lost some of my no claims bonus and increased premiums

Fortunately my friend is my insurance broker and they will cover it without affecting my NCB, but also luckily enough i protected them.

I had a tempered glass shower cubicle explode when I was staying at the JW Marriott in the late 90’s. It sounded like a shot gun (it went in the middle of the night). And then some years later a tempered glass desk blew up with no one sitting at it in an office I was supervisor of.

Rare, but it happens.

I have same problem wa W213 e class 220d 67 plate. My sunroof just exploded. I check on internet and I find many cases. I think it’s a BIG problem with the glass. If anyone find a answer from Mercedes please let me know. Thank you

When I was talking to a few mates who are not Merc fans (nor detractors), quite a few asked if I would avoid the pano roof because of this very issue, so it can't be that uncommon for a few non-merc owners to mention it.

MB sorting it for USA customers I believe. Normal practice would be to leave UK customers to sort out themselves.

Doing 5mph last night stopping behind a car at a junction this happened , sounded like a shotgun had gone off, clean the car weekly, no marks or chips on the roof. has anyone had anything similar happen?

Hi scotty

Can you please tell me what happened in the end with your roof.
Did you claim on your own car insurance or did mercedes carry out the repairs free of charge.
The reason I am asking is because it has just happened to me and my A class and mercedes are saying it must have been an outside influence.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom