C220 66 Plate Estate Sunroof exploding

Discussion in 'Bodywork' started by Scottyj10, Mar 27, 2018.

1. Scottyj10

Scottyj10 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C Class Estate
    Doing 5mph last night stopping behind a car at a junction this happened , sounded like a shotgun had gone off, clean the car weekly, no marks or chips on the roof. has anyone had anything similar happen?

Attached Files:

• 1.jpg
      1.jpg
      File size:
      101.9 KB
      Views:
    • 2.jpg
      2.jpg
      File size:
      51.4 KB
      Views:
    • 3.jpg
      3.jpg
      File size:
      53.5 KB
      Views:
    • 4.jpg
      4.jpg
      File size:
      97.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.jpg
      5.jpg
      File size:
      56.9 KB
      Views:
    • 6.jpg
      6.jpg
      File size:
      62.6 KB
      Views:
    • 7.jpg
      7.jpg
      File size:
      63.7 KB
      Views:
  2. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    A stone hitting it could cause the glass to shatter, just like to old toughened windscreens of years ago
    Was the roof open at the time?

3. OP
    OP
    Scottyj10

Scottyj10 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C Class Estate
    It was open a jar, but no passing traffic i was actually stationary went it went pop, no chance of any stone causing it.

4. BaldGuy

BaldGuy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Cayenne Turbo + 911 + GS430 Sport
    A friend of mine had exactly the same happen on a brand new BMW 3 series GT.. no stone... nothing.. just driving along... BMW disputed it for ages until he gave the car back and told them to shove it as it showered his wife 2 and 4 year old with glass.....

5. st13phil

st13phil MB Club Veteran

Car:
    His - Denim Blue A220 AMG Line Premium / Hers - Obsidian Black R172 SLK55
    Whoa! That must have been a shock :eek:

The only times I've read about MB Pano Roofs breaking is when there has been stone damage, but that doesn't mean it hasn't happened to someone.

Tempered glass will always have inherent stresses in it and it only takes a minor imperfection in it somewhere to act as a stress concentrator and at some point it will let go. There are lots of stories on the net about glass table tops and glass oven doors exploding for exactly that reason. A friend of mine was cleaning his teeth one morning when his glass double sink exploded. As he said, it was fortunate it happened where it did - in the bathroom - as he didn't have too far to go to clean up ;)

6. OP
    OP
    Scottyj10

Scottyj10 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C Class Estate
    It's being recovered to Mercedes in Aylesbury, got a feeling i'll have a fight on my hand, don't suppose they're cheap to replace.

7. whitenemesis

whitenemesis MB Club Veteran

Car:
    Lexus RC300h F-Sport 2019
    Covered under your motor insurance?

8. OP
    OP
    Scottyj10

Scottyj10 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C Class Estate
    My friend does my insurance, he's said he will have a look to see if it will affect my NCB, going to see what Merc says, i've actually been in a meeting with the DVSA this morning as we supply cars for testing, so he's said to log it down as a serious defect and they're duty bound to contact Mercedes to see if it's becoming common.

Last edited: Mar 27, 2018
    whitenemesis likes this.
  9. Abb

Abb Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Mercedes
    My friend has exactly the same thing happen to him, in a brand new GLA. Stationary in traffic and it just exploded. MB didn't want to know, so he got shot of it and bought went to Audi.
    This was in Cape Town, South Africa.

10. Quackers

Quackers Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    E46 M3
    I too have heard of this but only previously with BMW's - not that it's an everyday issue, you understand.

11. artyman

artyman Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C 200 CDI Sport
    I had this happen to my Hyundai sunroof, probably sixteen years ago, whilst the car was just sitting outside the house, a neighbour came and told me as he was in his garden and heard it go. Autoglass replaced it without any problems

12. James Copeland

James Copeland Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C250 CGI Estate
    I understand that sunroofs do not fall under the insured glass in cars and is treated as a body panel.
    When this happened to me I lost some of my no claims bonus and increased premiums

13. Petrol Pete

Petrol Pete Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    C55 AMG Wagon
    A glass double sink ? is your mate Elton John by any chance ? :p I did have a glass Pyrex dish full of chicken noodle soup go off like a bomb on the gas hob a few months ago, my wife told me I shouldn't put clear Pyrex directly on the gas (I have been doing it for ages :eek:)'.

It took her forever to clean the mess up o_O

st13phil likes this.
  14. OP
    OP
    Scottyj10

Scottyj10 New Member

Car:
    Mercedes C Class Estate
    Fortunately my friend is my insurance broker and they will cover it without affecting my NCB, but also luckily enough i protected them.

15. Tiim533

Tiim533 Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    I had a tempered glass shower cubicle explode when I was staying at the JW Marriott in the late 90’s. It sounded like a shot gun (it went in the middle of the night). And then some years later a tempered glass desk blew up with no one sitting at it in an office I was supervisor of.

Rare, but it happens.

st13phil likes this.
  16. Costelgi

Costelgi New Member

Car:
    E 220d
    I have same problem wa W213 e class 220d 67 plate. My sunroof just exploded. I check on internet and I find many cases. I think it’s a BIG problem with the glass. If anyone find a answer from Mercedes please let me know. Thank you

17. MrGreedy

MrGreedy Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    Insignia diesel :-( and w212 E350 CDI :-)
    When I was talking to a few mates who are not Merc fans (nor detractors), quite a few asked if I would avoid the pano roof because of this very issue, so it can't be that uncommon for a few non-merc owners to mention it.

MB sorting it for USA customers I believe. Normal practice would be to leave UK customers to sort out themselves.