C220/C270 v BMW 530D

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

alexinessex

Car
200 CLK
Hi... wonder if I can ask for some advice and a little tec from some of you please...

Im looking to buy a C220 or C270 (2000/07 shape) auto diesel.
From my budget of £4k/5k I should "just" about be able to find one.

I have never owned a MB before and have always had older shape 5Series BMW's. My current one is 523i on a 2000 plate.

I was going to buy a BMW 530d up to 2003 plate (old shape). But now very keen on one of the C class's above.

Wonder what I will get mpg from either the C220 or C270 compared to the 40mpg on the 530d auto diesel.

Also what kind of performance compared?

I do a little 4hour morning job, covering 65miles, stopping 10/15 times to drop off and wonder if a change to MB is now a good idea :)

Hope some of you can give a little advice.

Many thanks

Alex

40mpg from a 530D sounds a little optimistic on a stop/start run. My older C220 CDi does 44mpg overall, most of it on a 30 miles dual carriageway run to work at 70. A friend runs a CLK 320CDi (3.0 litre) and claims 44 at 80.

I would have thought low 40's for a newer C220 on your run.

No doubt others will be along with views and figures too.

Good luck.

40mpg from a 530D sounds a little optimistic on a stop/start run.
Never in a month of Sundays. However you are comparing Apples with Pears the BM 5 Series is the E Class (Equivilent) and the C Class compares to a 3 Series.

Average 38-40mpg with my C270.......can be as low as 31-32mpg on short stop/start runs and as high as 50mpg on a long motorway run.

As above, a 5 series compares with E class and 3 series with C class

Didnt realise the C was more in line with the 3! doh!

Im guessing then that the E is a lot more juicy than the C?

I like the front of the C more than the E so will still prob go for the C anyway.
Also the C doesnt look/feel as small as the 3. I have never liked the 3! lol

Great advice, all be it low 30's on a diesel stop start :-( was hoping for high 30's min.

I don't think their is a great deal in it between the E and C on juice.

You would find cunsumption on short journeys better with a manual. But they would be hard to find and hard to re-sell.

4000 miles of mixed short and long runs, my C270 trip computer is showing 42mpg average - and it's going up slowly since I had the thermostat changed and the engine now gets up to proper 90C operating temperature!

C270cdi is an amazingly economical motor and rapid having driven one. It will easily get 50mpg + when driven gently and expect 40mpg from a mix of driving. A 530d will be about 35mpg

Even with "enthusiastic" cross-country driving my 270 will return 40-45mpg. On a motorway run I can expect 55-60mpg. Around town usually around 35mpg

As others have said, the C Class is more in line with the 3 series, having said that the model range you're considering (W203) is certainly larger for rear legroom than the equivalent 3 series (E46).

The 5 Series is definitely a much bigger car - and the competing Mercedes model is the E Class.

Good luck with your choice...

Even with "enthusiastic" cross-country driving my 270 will return 40-45mpg. On a motorway run I can expect 55-60mpg. Around town usually around 35mpg

All your figures are at least 5 MPG better than mine (off the computer, itself probably optimistic). At 70MPH cruise it'll just get into the low 50's if the journey is long enough.

Hi all really appreciate all your comments. Just need to find one now :)

Many thanks

All your figures are at least 5 MPG better than mine (off the computer, itself probably optimistic). At 70MPH cruise it'll just get into the low 50's if the journey is long enough.

Agree with you Rory on that one....that's my experience also

Agree with you Rory on that one....that's my experience also

Cross-checked computer with brim-to-brim 500 mile trip and agreed within 1mpg

I'd avoid the C220 for morning-related stop-start journeys.

The pre-facelift C220 had issues with getting warm (as many diesels do I guess), but the upshot is that it can be extremely sluggish when pulling away from junctions until it's warm. Post 2005 models I think may not have suffered from the same problem, but not 100% sure.

One of the reasons I ditched mine and got a petrol.

C270 doesn't suffer from the same problem, isn't much worse on fuel, sounds nicer (5 cylinders), and goes like stink.

I think if you went from a 530D to a C220 you'd be disappointed in the performance.

C class has much more room inside than a 3 series, and is better put together. I was quite disappointed in the E46s I had a look at.

HTH

I test drove a C220 2003 elegance and boy was it noisy on the inside :-(

I love the front shape where the lights are joined and for sure Im going to buy a MB with that front.

Just have no idea which model or petrol/diesel. To make issues harder I need to nearly all my research online now and even buy as Im due for surgery on my knee and will be out of action for many months.

Are the Avant Garde models less noisy in the cabin? and are there any CLK versions?
My budget is only 5k so know Im only going to get a very early C class with the front I like but there seem to be so many different ones. Is there a web site that will show me a picture of all the models in the range and their specs etc?

Many kind thanks

Alex

£4/5k won't get you a new shape CLK (209). It will buy a 208 CLK.

Your budget should stretch to a C220cdi/270cdi.

Petrol wise a C180k/200k/230k or C240 or C320 petrol could be had. The C240 and 320 are V6 petrols and are very smooth, but maybe a but juicey.

Is there a web site where I can look at pictures of the cars you listed and their engine specs etc or do they all look the same, just with different interiors and sized engines?

Do you know which of the diesels is the least noisy in the cabin?
Also if I have to go for a petrol which c class would be the most economical for me

Really, really appreciate all this help!

Alex

Is there a web site where I can look at pictures of the cars you listed and their engine specs etc or do they all look the same, just with different interiors and sized engines?

Do you know which of the diesels is the least noisy in the cabin?
Also if I have to go for a petrol which c class would be the most economical for me

Really, really appreciate all this help!

Alex

I'd try the Parkers website and compare them on that.

Diesel wise the C270cdi will be less noisey by a fair margin, and probably the most economical believe it or not. I'd try my best to get one of these.

Most economical petrol C class-there isn't much in it. I'd stick with a C180/200/230k as all these are 4 clyinder engines.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom