C220 cdi 2004 turbo problem

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

S20pro

Car
merc c220 cdi
Hi All from a new member!:) I did have the intermittent limp mode problem with my c220 cdi which after turning off and on again cured it and it then would run fine for a good few days then would suddenly go into limp mode again (never had any lights appear on the dash though). I was driving home last night and again went into limp mode so i pulled up, did the stop start routine but it didnt come out of limp mode just tootled along at a max of about 40 with very slight surging motion, but with no acceleration.
I called at my local garage and we took the pipe off the end of the turbo as he thought it might be turbo related to see if there was play in the shaft only to find that the nut on the end of the shaft was loose which meant the shaft was spinning but the blades werent.
There doesnt appear to be any damage to the inside of the turbo and turns smoothly other than the loose end nut it seems ok. My question would be(apologies if it is a daft one) but now this nut is loose do i need a new turbo as the nut is designed to be crimped tight and has come loose for a reason or is it possible to just nip it back up and it should be fine. Not easy to nip tight as cant really jam a screwdriver in the blades to stop it turning lol.
Thx in advance for any help or suggestions.
Andy

Ill try a different question as i'm guessing noone wants to say yey or nay in case they say yey the nut comes off and gets sucked in the engine.
Has anyone ever had the same experience with a turbo in the past where the nut has come loose?

I really would not try 'jamming' a screwdriver in it but would think (without knowing the anatomy of a turbo) that the nut would be holding the turbo on a key, so you should be thinking of gaining access to the other end which should have a similar nut that will give you the purchase to tighten the loose nut. If a key is involved make sure that it is engaged before you tighten it up!

Whereabouts are you located?

You may be better off seeking out a local indie to check fault codes (if any)

I had this yesterday on my 55 W203 220 cdi. Turbo stopped working at 70mph so I pulled up on hard shoulder and switched off/on and it went away and then the same thing happened 30mins later.

It has not happened since but I am worried as I have no time to get this looked at just yet - and it is critical that I have the use of my Car over the next 4 days.

Get it plugged in. It only takes a few mins to to

Right folks thx for your replies. Decided it would be best to get a new turbo so £600 later and i now have another turbo on it and it seems to be fine again. Once i got the old turbo off from the front it looked fine but after removal it was obvious that the shaft had broke and the back blades were wobbling around which was the reason the nut was loose in the first place. Now whether this has cured the intermitent limp mode problem i had before the turbo went it remains to be seen but i will know within the next few days or so.
Just a note for Bulldoze to say that when the car was in limp mode before in park it wouldnt rev above 3000rpm but once the turbo had gone it would rev up past 3000rpm but just slowly without the turbo woosh. Hope this is of some help.

Last edited:
hi im new to this forum and new to Mercedes, i used to have a VW Golf TDI with the same problem, i would simply turn off the ignition then back on and it would be fine, then 7 months later i had a slight noise (barely audble) when the turbo kicked in 1 month later the turbo blew at night on the motorway and i didnt relise ALL the oil got sucked through the exhust, had a new turbo fitted, 2 months later big end bearing went due to the oil being suck out :( deffo go for the new turbo or recon yours to save you in the long run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom