C220 Cdi auto gearbox selector

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Apologies for this long post, but I need some advice re my 2002 C220 Cdi Sport Coupe Automatic with approx., 225,000 miles and a gear selector issue which I think will be costly to fix.

Background
Last week I parked up and couldn't move the shifter from Drive to Park. So I shifted to Neutral, turned the ignition off for 30 secs, switched back on and was then able to move the shifter to Park and get the key out. After returning to the vehicle, it started but the display did not show the current gear or W/S symbols. I was though able to drive the 8 miles home in what seemed to be 3rd gear.

I tried it the following morning and it seemed to be ok so I drove 6 miles away and parked up. On returning and restarting it stuck in 3rd gear and remained there as I limped back home. The following morning it wouldn't start at all - I think because the selector was not registering that it was in Park.

What I did
With the help of the 'BENZWERKS C-CLASS CENTER CONSOLE REMOVAL' videos, I removed the console and had a look at the shifter module. There's not much to see and there was no visible signs of damage or of fluids having leaked down. Even so I squirted some electrical contact cleaner into it then reconnected everything, reassembled the console and did a test drive.

It started normally as I took it out for a 3 mile run that included one stop, but keeping the engine running. The display showed the current gear selection as it changed gear, kick down worked and so did manual selection (tiptronic selector?).

24 hours later I drove it 3 miles away, parked up and returned after 45 mins to find it wouldn't start. Spent the next 20 mins fiddling about with key, windows (was 26 deg), banging the gear stick in frustration and generally feeling helpless. Then astonishingly, it started and I limped home in 1st or 2nd gear and parked. Being curious, I tried it an hour later and it started normally, so I drove round the block and the only problem was that the display indicated R (reverse) despite it being in Drive.

My thoughts?
None! I don't know what to make of it. Before I book it in somewhere, does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to what may be going on?

Note: The auto gearbox had a long overdue oil change about a year ago. Also no issues with the brake lights.

Manufacturing the part?

I bit the bullet and went for a new Gear Selector Module which my (non main dealer) garage ordered from Mercedes for my old C220 Cdi in Aug. (had to jump through a few security hoops)

I've just spoken with the parts dept who says it's being manufactured.

Can this be right, manufacture on demand? :crazy: No stocks? :mad:

We are finding that so many parts are either NLA or only in stock in Germany or they have a massive lead time.

New selector installed, old one inspected and ...

One month on and the new gear selector module has finally been installed, the car tested over 10ish miles and everything works as it should. No coding was needed (Mercedes would normally charge £90 + Vat to do that + the full cost of the unit + labour).

I've disassembled the old one to check the PCB and it was dry, very clean and with no corrosion at all. I'm hoping that these units fail for reasons other than a faulty circuit board (PCB).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom