C220 CDI - Automatic 2005

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kevzdodd

Car
C220 CDI 2005 Auto
Hi,

I've purchased a 2005 C220 CDI Automatic. The car itself is brilliant but I've been having a few issues with it, within the two days I've had it.

I believe this model is a 5 gear automatic gearbox. Whenever I'm in drive and use the manual gear selections it only goes upto 4 gears - does this mean it has only got 4 forward gears and it means the 5th would be the reverse?

Also, I seem to be getting an average of 34mpg driving very very steadily, is this normal for this car? I know I'm having problems so this could be contributing to it.

I've got a 2004 c180k, same gearbox I think (?) when using the manual shift the display only goes up to 4 then into D which I presume is 5th and uses all 5 gears.
I assume this is normal, some of the experts here will be able to advise.

Unless you have the 'M' mode on the 'box selector button using the manual gear selection (as you put it) only serves to restrict the gear range. So with 3 showing in the cluster the box will only shift automatically from 1st up to 3rd and no further. It's meant to stop the 'box hunting for gears, especially in hilly regions

For true manual selection you need the 'M' mode, in which case it will show the gear selected in the cluster and only automatically shift up at the red line, or if you lift off. Only AMG models hold the gear until the driver makes the change

Last edited:
A friend has a car similiar to your's -same age, 200k miles. At an average of 48mph, he is getting 60+ miles to the gallon. If you are only getting 34mpg, something is wrong.

Thank you.

Must be something wrong with it then. I'm getting no more than 34 on average without flooring it. I've had the oil light and the esp light come on. Now it's got a loss of power and struggles to get to 40.

Thank you.

Must be something wrong with it then. I'm getting no more than 34 on average without flooring it. I've had the oil light and the esp light come on. Now it's got a loss of power and struggles to get to 40.

Yip, it's gone into limp mode so something is indeed wrong. Since you've only had it a few days, if you got it from a garage or dealer get it back there, otherwise to your nearest Indy to get a Star diagnostic to find out whats afoot...

A friend has a car similiar to your's -same age, 200k miles. At an average of 48mph, he is getting 60+ miles to the gallon. If you are only getting 34mpg, something is wrong.

That's a lot of miles! Must be a reliable car then....I'm hoping the gearbox doesn't go on me. I've heard older gearboxes aren't very reliable.

That's a lot of miles! Must be a reliable car then....I'm hoping the gearbox doesn't go on me. I've heard older gearboxes aren't very reliable.

Gearboxes are strong, it's the electro-plate with speed sensors, that fail..

Check the C/S button next to the gear lever. If it's set to C the car will pull away in 2nd gear so you'll only count three changes.

In S it should start in first but the transmission 'learns' your driving style, if you've been driving gently it may still start in 2nd on a light throttle.

Drive it like you stole it for a bit, then do a spirited standing start. You should be able to detect four gearchanges.

Check the C/S button next to the gear lever. If it's set to C the car will pull away in 2nd gear so you'll only count three changes.

In S it should start in first but the transmission 'learns' your driving style, if you've been driving gently it may still start in 2nd on a light throttle.

Drive it like you stole it for a bit, then do a spirited standing start. You should be able to detect four gearchanges.

IME the 'box always starts in 1st when S is selected, irrespective of learnt adaptions. With C selected, the 'box will start in 1st when the engine and CATs are cold and if given more than 60% throttle, otherwise it's a 2nd gear start.

My car is 2005 C 220d and has 110k i get average 59 to 61 mpg on motorway in city i get 38 to 42mpg.

mine is on 151K and drives perfect. i'm getting around 45-50mpg.

check your thermostat in the engine. does the temp get to 90c in around 5-10 mins from start? if not, then this is where to start.

mine is on 151K and drives perfect. i'm getting around 45-50mpg.

check your thermostat in the engine. does the temp get to 90c in around 5-10 mins from start? if not, then this is where to start.

The thermo doesn't ever touch 60, could this be the reason? Does this affect the fuel if the thermostat is faulty?

Also, do you have the c200 or the c220???

Last edited:
The thermostat will most certainly affect fuel consumption, and your's is faulty.

The thermo doesn't ever touch 60, could this be the reason? Does this affect the fuel if the thermostat is faulty?

Also, do you have the c200 or the c220???

its the same engine. 646 engine.

you've found your problem. its the thermostat then. the car thinks its always warming up so will use more gas.

don't buy cheap crap from ebay. walk into a merc dealer and buy the proper part. its around £40. don't forget a gasket.

its the same engine. 646 engine.

you've found your problem. its the thermostat then. the car thinks its always warming up so will use more gas.

don't buy cheap crap from ebay. walk into a merc dealer and buy the proper part. its around £40. don't forget a gasket.

Sorry it does hit 60, this is a photo taken this morning. Does it still need changing?

Attached the photo.

Attachments

• IMG_20170715_114814.jpg
    IMG_20170715_114814.jpg
    210.9 KB · Views: 12
Sorry it does hit 60, this is a photo taken this morning. Does it still need changing?

Attached the photo.

Looks like the thermostat to me.... it should reach at least 80.

id agree, thermostat it is. these are the part numbers from my invoice when I did it.

thermostat 6462001115
gasket 6112030380

its not hard but remove the oil filter housing cover for better access.

Unless you have the 'M' mode on the 'box selector button using the manual gear selection (as you put it) only serves to restrict the gear range. So with 3 showing in the cluster the box will only shift automatically from 1st up to 3rd and no further.

Not so, on my 2005 with 3 showing in the cluster the box will shift to 4th if you do not change as the revs rise near to the red line. The gear range is never restricted when changing manually and will always change up itself if not done manually just before the red line.

Russ

Not so, on my 2005 with 3 showing in the cluster the box will shift to 4th if you do not change as the revs rise near to the red line. The gear range is never restricted when changing manually and will always change up itself if not done manually just before the red line.

Russ

Correct, only to prevent over-revving the engine. As I posted, unless you have the 'M' button, "manually" changing gears only serves to restrict the gear range. The 'box still operates automatically within the restricted range. True manual shifting is only possible with the 'M' button. Even then there are subtle differences between 'M' modes in AMG models and non-AMG models.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom