C220 CDI Coupe ATF change?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

sportedition

Car
C220 CDI Coupe Sport Edition
I've done a fair bit of reading but I'm struggling for a definitive answer. My car is going in for a service to Mercedes Benz Sheffield tomorrow. The car is an 2006 model on 31,000 miles and hasn't had the ATF changed. I'm thinking that this is going to need doing.

I've read on the forums from members who had it done at a dealer that they only drain the gearbox and not the torque convertor. The part that I haven't been able to get a definitive answer on is can the torque convertor be drained / flushed? I've read that there isn't a drain on them? I've read Olly's HOWTO but does this relate to my car as the one he demonstrates on is an E Class?

Lastly can anyone recommend an Independant around South Yorkshire that they have experience of doing a complete ATF change? From what I've read its VERY important that the job is done properly and I don't have any experience of anyone other than the main dealer and I'm prepared to get it done there. However, I'm a bit sceptical if the torque convertor isn't drained if done by them as surely the new fluid is just mixing with old? Have I got the complete wrong end of the stick?

Any help would be appreciated. Many thanks.

Last edited:
The HOWTO is relevant to your car as the drivetrain is fundamentally the same..

You are correct the torque converter IS NOT drained. It does not have a drain plug and the only way to drain it properly is to take the gearbox out and even then it will be difficult to get all the oil out as tipping it upside down does not remove all the oil.

You are right in your assumption the new oil will mix with the old - it is still worthwhile having the filter changed and the approx 4 litres of GB oil that is in the gearbox.

Its not a big job or a difficult job and a good indie will save you a bit of money over a dealer although it will likely just be the difference in an hours labour charge.

Hope this helps....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom