C220 CDi - Outside temperature sensor

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Oxfordian

Car
C220 CDI Sports Coupe
Hi all,

I have a C220 CDi Sports Coupe (2002) whose outside temperature readings start to shoot up whenever the vehicle is idling and at a standstill, then starts coming down again as the vehicle is in motion.

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?
It may be that the outside temperature sensor is faulty, but where is it located?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers

Hi all,

I have a C220 CDi Sports Coupe (2002) whose outside temperature readings start to shoot up whenever the vehicle is idling and at a standstill, then starts coming down again as the vehicle is in motion.

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem?
It may be that the outside temperature sensor is faulty, but where is it located?

Thanks for any suggestions.
Cheers

The outside temperature sensor is next to the offside front fog light.

You should see a small black probe sticking out of the little grille next to the fog light. It is the shape of the pointed end of a pencil.

Mine had become detached and the readings were erratic as it had fallen inside the bumper, getting no air on to it.

You go in from behind, via the front wheel arch. There should be a piece of trim to remove to get at it.

Sensor fell in bumper

The outside temperature sensor is next to the offside front fog light.

You should see a small black probe sticking out of the little grille next to the fog light. It is the shape of the pointed end of a pencil.

Mine had become detached and the readings were erratic as it had fallen inside the bumper, getting no air on to it.

You go in from behind, via the front wheel arch. There should be a piece of trim to remove to get at it.

Hi Duncanh, following a long (driving) trip to Switzerland, this is my first opportunity to thank you for the advice. The sensor had indeed fallen inside the bumper which I found it easier to access from the bottom - that was the easy part.

The sensor must have been held within the largish hole by something which had perished, and it took me ages to construct a replacement to hold the sensor in the hole and which could be supported by the adhesive I used. It's still in place now after many hours of high speed driving. Phew!!!

Same problem on my CLK 220 Cdi - at least I know where to look now. Thanks everyone.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom