C220 cdi pressure problems

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Danwiggyhill

Car
C220 cdi
I have searched all over for a solution to my problem, but whilst I have found the same problem, no solutions!
I have 2002 c220 cdi with a whooshing sound, then drops into limp mode, I have two fault codes P0100 and P1470,
I have tried all sorts, checked the cats, not blocked and in great condition, but found a large split in the manifold, by the bracket where it meets the engine, thought that must be it, got it fixed, didn't sort the problems though, checked all pipes, twice, no joy, changed the maf, twice, no joy,
I've had an MOT a service in this time, all good and passed no issues, but now 2000 miles of limp mode is doing my head in,
The first 2 minutes of driving is ok, running about 3/4 boost but whooshing sound prominent, then under any strain, limp mode, stop, restart, same again,
I've read EGR valve problems, stuck vanes, but has anybody had this problem and actually fixed it? Or got any ideas that aren't going to mean stripping the engine and spending 3 days rebuilding, any help, massively appreciated

Update: another new MAF, no joy, I like my car, but do I like it enough to live with its glitches?????? Might be time for a change!

The P0100 code does not refer just to the sensor; it may well be the wiring to it.
The 1470 code concerns the intake or boost pressure.
The whoosh would seem to indicate a air intake leak. So this should be checked first. It could be the sensor for the boost and also the vanes could be gunged up.
All of this is pretty easy to check visually and to remedy.
I had a 1999 C220 CDI that had your problem without the P0100 fault. I found that the vaccum pipe had split. I nipped a piece off the top and refitted it and that fixed the problem

Check all the boost pipes again. Also check the intercooler for splits.

Thanks for the replies guys, it went in for a diagnosis today, the MAF seems to be operating correctly, so definitely rules that out, I wll check the pipes again and tripple check theyre all fine, it's doing my head in a little, 3 mechanics down, and no solution!
But I will persist, it's a great car when it works right!
I'll let you know!

Danwiggyhill said:
Thanks for the replies guys, it went in for a diagnosis today, the MAF seems to be operating correctly, so definitely rules that out, I wll check the pipes again and tripple check theyre all fine, it's doing my head in a little, 3 mechanics down, and no solution!
But I will persist, it's a great car when it works right!
I'll let you know!

Any updates?

Cars booked in this week, will update when I have an answer, what's an I/C?

Whooshing sound says induction leak.
Here's some Youtube clips of boost leak tests :
boost leak test - YouTube

If you can attach a hose to the induction tract somewhere - blow cigar smoke into it, then attach a footpump to the end of the hose and create some pressure, the smoke will reveal the leak.

I had problem like this.....took me ages to find the problem, a split in the rubber intercooler pipe. Split was not readily visible and was missed by mechanics on 2 seperate visits to garages.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom