C220 CDI Smoke under heavy acceleration w203 2007

Discussion in 'Engine' started by franmav4, Jun 5, 2011.

1. franmav4

franmav4 New Member

Car:
    W203 C220 CDI 2007
    Hi Again Forum,

Ever since I have owned the car, I get a Big cloud of smoke under heavy long acceleration. It will continue to pump up smoke until I release the gas. Highly visable at night in a rear view mirror.

The car runs perfectly fine, no smoke on idle or normal driving.

This does not happen on my Dads c220 CDI, I can boot that all day and I will only get a puff of smoke on the initial kick down.

What I did find from removing the inlet boost pipe was some oil in the manifold.

Any advice would be appreciated.

2. Cabe

Cabe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W202 C220 CDI
    Don't suppose you are filling up with Shell Fuelsave are you?

Other things to look out for - http://www.mbclub.co.uk/forums/engine/100910-c270-smoke.html

Other things that have made mine smoke (albeit white...) were duff injectors (whip the plastic cover off, if its sooty there's your culprit) and the fuel leak off pipe (spotted and fixed by my every friendly indie - Olly (BlackC55 on here) at PCS in Horndean, always recommended).

Get thee to an Indie I say, they will stick it on a STAR. Unless you like having your wallet molested by the stealership.

Last edited: Jun 5, 2011
  3. OP
    OP
    franmav4

franmav4 New Member

Car:
    W203 C220 CDI 2007
    Cheers Cabe, I've tried diffrent feuls from regular, vpower and ultimate. My Dad always uses regular diesel in C220.

Checked the injector areas and still very clean and I have also had it on STAR but no faults.

The only thing I found was the oil in the manifold and wondering it is this the culprit. I have been told that perhaps it is caused by bad oil seals or a faulty oil separator.

Would anyone know where the oil separator is? Can I clean/service it or is it a replacement job.

4. OP
    OP
    franmav4

franmav4 New Member

Car:
    W203 C220 CDI 2007
    I did just checked late this afternoon and found a hissing sound around where there turbo is when I rev to 4k rpm and release. This hissing sound continues until it drops back to idle. I also get a whining noise in this area when reved high and release until idle. hmmm.

Its probably normal but I notice that the pipe on the turbo expands when rev'd and contracts when it returns to idle.

I will investigate this weekend, I do hope it is some sort of crack or leak as I really hate the embarrasing smoke.
    [​IMG]

5. Danny DeVito

Danny DeVito Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    V220 CDI
    My V220 smoked terrible when i bought it. The oil makes it's way into the egr and manifold from the turbo seals being worn. I added Bardahl NO-Smoke and the embarrassing clouds mostly disappeared. I drive kinda slow so now and then i floor it and then i blow out the oil. I found sludge all inside the egr and a lot in the manifold. But the Bardahl helped amazingly 10/10

6. Cabe

Cabe Hardcore MB Enthusiast

Car:
    W202 C220 CDI
    Aha, that's probably your intercooler hose, It's mentioned in the linked thread and seems to be quite common.