C220 cdi stalls cold start .. help

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Beetlebug

Car
C220 cdi sport estate
Hi , new to this forum. Got a c220 cdi estate 2008 it stall when out in gear on cold start gets better when heat up . Feels like gearbox still engaged when brake is applied at slow speed or when stopping but gets better after heating up ... or gets better . Changed quantity control valve with no joy . Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks

Best getting the car plugged into a good diagnostics, could be gearbox related rather than engine related or are you getting an EML? Is your car an auto, if so when was the gearbox last serviced?

Hi , thanks for the reply it’s a diesel. What’s EML ? I have bought it last week with this problem, so don’t know when it was serviced last . There were no lights on the dash till today engine management light came on apart from that it has been driving ok and going up and down the gears smoothly just the first cold start of the day is the worst. One of the other forums has suggested to change oil , oil filter and conductor plate . Start with cheapest I guess.

Update. Engine management light off . Seems like if you have a 5 run it becomes normal quickly rather than idle running for 15 mins so cold be oil filter needs changed .

Which gearbox do you have? the 5-speed has a dipstick and you can check the level and the state of the ATF.
Changing the Engine oil/filter will have no bearing.
When was the fuel filter last changed ?

Which gearbox do you have? the 5-speed has a dipstick and you can check the level and the state of the ATF.
Changing the Engine oil/filter will have no bearing.
When was the fuel filter last changed ?
It’s the one without the dipstick, have ordered one. I meant transmission fluid, filter and conductor plate . Just bought it last week with this issue so don’t know when it was done last .
thanks for the reply I’m still new to this forum.
Regards

Since you say the EML(engine management light) is on then best having it plugged into a mercedes star/xentry diagnostics or similar and go from there.

If the EML light came on I would recommend getting the codes read , if you plan to keep the car buy a decent DIY code reader owning one can often save you more than it cost £ the first time you plug it in .

If the EML light came on I would recommend getting the codes read , if you plan to keep the car buy a decent DIY code reader owning one can often save you more than it cost £ the first time you plug it in .
Eml light came on and disappeared itself a day after , can you still plug it in even thoug the light has turned off, thanks

Eml light came on and disappeared itself a day after , can you still plug it in even thoug the light has turned off, thanks
Yes there will be stored faults that can be investigated

Hi , thanks for the reply it’s a diesel. What’s EML ? I have bought it last week with this problem, so don’t know when it was serviced last . There were no lights on the dash till today engine management light came on apart from that it has been driving ok and going up and down the gears smoothly just the first cold start of the day is the worst. One of the other forums has suggested to change oil , oil filter and conductor plate . Start with cheapest I guess.
Changing the transmission oil and filter is always a good Idea but will not solve the problem I bought a car with the same problem the garage even dropped the price I changed the transmission oil twice since I had it problem still there I run the engine for a min or so before putting it into drive and put my foot on the gas at the same time works every time for me have heard its a problem connected to the torque converter but don't know any more than that not sure if. changing the conductor plate will fix it

Hi , thanks for your reply. It’s been 6 months now and it’s not changed a bit , the good thing is it’s not deteriorated in symptoms so whatever is causing it not wearing out . Drives smooth as ever after the first hurdle . I’ve not tried your trick but I will do it tomorrow and let you know . I had all intentions of changing the atf and filter it’s sitting in the garage with atf and seals and all but never got around doing it because so many people had told me so many different things so didn’t know what to do . But my homework and observation tells me the problem lies in the valve body where the atf passes through small channels to do various jobs … there are some small sliders which work with atf .. sometimes they get stuck due to sludge or dirty oil . So I think valve body needs full overhaul with new oil and filter . Mechanic charge too much so I am going to do it myself … fingers crossed. I’ll start with your trick tomorrow,
Thanks again

my view is there are a number of people with the same Issues. will watch for your posts ..

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom