c220 cdi w203 2003 model scanner

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

johnch121

Car
c220 cdi
I have a srs fault come up and want to buy a scanner to remove it I found this one on eBay:

MERCEDES FAULT CODE READER ENGINE SCANNER DIAGNOSTIC RESET TOOL OBDII EOBD eBay item number:200920310471

As my model is a 2003 I think I would need a converter cable.

MERCEDES BENZ 38Pin to 16 Pin OBD OBD2 II Adaptor Cable Diagnostic eBay item number:231262917910

Has anyone ever used these? do they do what they say it will?

Thank you very much for any help.

johnch121 said:
I have a srs fault come up and want to buy a scanner to remove it I found this one on eBay: MERCEDES FAULT CODE READER ENGINE SCANNER DIAGNOSTIC RESET TOOL OBDII EOBD eBay item number:200920310471 As my model is a 2003 I think I would need a converter cable. MERCEDES BENZ 38Pin to 16 Pin OBD OBD2 II Adaptor Cable Diagnostic eBay item number:231262917910 Has anyone ever used these? do they do what they say it will? Thank you very much for any help.

You'll need star to get rid of an SRS fault I believe!

Autel MaxiDiag EU702 will clear SRS fault codes on your car.

It's an obsolete model but can still be purchased online for around £100.

(The replacement model MaxiDiag MD802 is a better unit but costs upward of £400)

Also, just to clarify that standard OBDII scanners cover only engine and transmission but not other MB-specific systems such as SRS or ABS etc.

In fact I believe that the EU702 is the cheapest code scanner that can read and clear (some) MB-specific systems ie in addition to the engine and transmission.

It may prove more economic to get the codes read and cleared by an Indie with a STAR computer, and he may also find out what is the actual problem with the SRS.

Also, just to clarify that standard OBDII scanners cover only engine and transmission but not other MB-specific systems such as SRS or ABS etc.

In fact I believe that the EU702 is the cheapest code scanner that can read and clear (some) MB-specific systems ie in addition to the engine and transmission.

It may prove more economic to get the codes read and cleared by an Indie with a STAR computer, and he may also find out what is the actual problem with the SRS.

Thank you for the reply, I know very little about these car first time owning one, how much would be a rough price to take it to an Independent garage and have them remove the fault? I'm in the UK by the way :)

The scanner you say about would that need any other cables to work with a 2003 c220 cdi?

Is this one the same as the one you are talking about http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/like/231189763644?clk_rvr_id=653869878481

Thank you for your help thus far

Last edited:
Thank you for the reply, I know very little about these car first time owning one, how much would be a rough price to take it to an Independent garage and have them remove the fault? I'm in the UK by the way :)

The scanner you say about would that need any other cables to work with a 2003 c220 cdi?

Is this one the same as the one you are talking about Autel 20 in 1 Airbag ABS SRS Engine MIL Light Reset Tool Fault Code Scanner EX3 | eBay

Thank you for your help thus far

A independent garage will probably charge anything from £20 to £50 to hook-up your car to STAR, read the codes, and reset them. But you get the added benefit that all codes will be read (they may be others you are unaware off), and you will be given an explanation and possibly even a complete diagnostic service (depending on the nature of the fault).

Simply erasing fault codes DIY may not achieve much by itself, and the fault might come back.

With regards the Autel MaxiDian EU702, it covers MB cars up to 2006-2008 (depending on the model), and works well with my 2006 C180 Kompressor.

According to the menu it should work with your car as well (though obviously I have no way of actually testing it...). It covers the standard ODBII codes for engine and transmission faults, and also some other MB-specific systems including EGR (emission control), ABS/ESP, and SRS/Airbags. But of course a proper STAR computer covers the entire car, including AirCon, Central Locking, Instrument Cluster, etc etc etc....

And yes the eBay links point to the scanner I was referring to.

I have 53 plate c220 cdi coupe and hooked this up after blowing fuse 52 numerous times. A read up on here seems to show mercedes swapping the 15 amp fuse for a 20 but mine blew that too. Couldn't fathom out why but it currently has a 30 amp in there. It had a habit of jot firing, just heard a click, but a quick scan with this and although it came back with no error codes if I clicked erase codes an tried the car it would start. I now keep it in the car just in case it plays up again. Touch wood for past week it's been fine or started on 2nd try without using scanner. No idea why but cheap fix for now. Not sure what the scanner cost as isn't mine

ForumRunner_20140620_232729.jpg

Replace your starter motor before you melt the fuse box or set fire to it.

Re SRS fault

Hi, new member here in Ireland. Your SRS warning message will probably appear again after you reset it. It is likely to be a faulty sensor mat in the passenger seat. I had this problem and it only went away after the sensor was replaced. This is a common fault on W203's.

Hi, new member here in Ireland. Your SRS warning message will probably appear again after you reset it. It is likely to be a faulty sensor mat in the passenger seat. I had this problem and it only went away after the sensor was replaced. This is a common fault on W203's.

Welcome.

Correct, had this on my w203. The sensor was subsequently replaced by Olly PCS (BlackC55) a couple of years ago which resolved the issue.

You can get on eBay cheap devices that 'fake' the sensor to fool the SRS system into thinking the seat sensor is connected and working, but I would be very worried about using anything that interferes with the SRS system (hence why I had mine properly fixed).

thank for your replies will this system also clear esp errors?

thank you

The scanner turned up and have to say that it is easy to use and seems to work fine thank you for the recommendation.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom