C220 cdi w203 engine surge when cold

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Kenner

Car
w203c220cdi
Have had my w203 c220 cdi for 18 months it's done 145'000 runs well gearbox changes as it should but when cold on a light throttle the engine surges the Rev counter fluctuates around 500 rpm, I have noticed this is a common problem as many people have written in stating different fixes to this problem. I have tried some. turning off the boost heater may have improved a little, changed and flushed gearbox with new filter I bought a dip stick for the gearbox so to get the level correct no matter improvement. Yesterday checked the gearbox oil level before starting the engine, the level was low so topped it up as it feels like the filter is drawing air since,then it appears better.

Would be interested in your throughs on this matter

Hi Kenner, I have the same problem. Only when cold the engine surges under acceleration at around 1500rpm. I keep it in third (2400rpm) until it warms up a bit and the problem goes away. When the engine is warmed up it runs well. Just had 4 new glow plugs and a check of the auto gearbox with no gear box problems evident. You said you read some other solutions - were they EGR valve or MAP sensor related? What ever the cause - it definitely seems heat related. I will post any possible solutions here - if I can find any.
Ross

Hi my c220 still shows signs of this surging like you for the first mile I take it easy then is fine. I first change the transmission oil with Lucas sure shift no improvement then changed it for millers mb oil as this oil is for merc's I feel it's better but this is a common problem surly someone must know what the cause is. Let me know if you cure it and if any one else knows the fix please let us know.

Hi Guys,

Did anyone find a resolution to the surging problem? My 2007 C220 CDi is doing this exact thing now.

Thanks.

Gareth.

Hey guys, im sorry to revive an old thread, however i have the same problem with my C220 CDI w203. I had Glow plugs changed as 2 of them were not working and it didnt help, i tried to change ATF fluid + filter and nothing helped. ODB scanner shows no faults. It only happens when the car is cold and goes away after few minutes. When it warms it shifts perfectly, engine runs smoothly and etc. If you guys fixed it please let me know what was the problem? Or maybe someone else knows it?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom