C220 Charging Amps

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MasterAK47

Car
1994 MB C220 and 1989 BMW 325iX
My C220 quit charging. I replaced the voltage regulator on the alternator with an OEM Bosch which marked 14V on it. After installation, the alternator worked, I put the multi-tester probes on battery terminals and found that the charging was pretty stable, the cut out was 13.2V-DC. Is this charging amp too low? should I replace it with another VR?

Last edited:
13.2 volts is exactly that a voltage
Is this the voltage across your +ve and -ve terminals with the car running?
Depending on the state of charge of your battery you would expect to see a voltage of between 13+ volts and 14+ volts across the terminals of your battery with the car running.
You would expect the voltage of a fully charged car battery off load to be 12.65 volts (after switching off for say 15 minutes)
If it isn't you may have a problem with the battery which may or may not be on its way out, or another form of electrical problem. Your local battery supplier will be able to test your battery for you (in UK its free)
To check the current going in I would use a clamp meter. Cheap enough off fleabay
If you are unsure of what your doing ask someone with knowledge to guide you.

Last edited:
Hi Joecash, thank you very much for your reply. Yes, 13.2V was across the battery terminals with engine running with or without the following being turned on: head lights on high beam, hazard lights, cabin lights, wiper and A/C. The battery stayed at 12.63V after engine was turned off for about 15 min. Several months prior to my VR went bad, the voltage reading across the battery terminals was 14.4 with engine running. I used to drive short distances with many stops and starts, the lesser charging amps prompted me to worry about the battery may not have enough charge for the starter. Is my worry uncalled for?

From what you say your battery appears ok and is being charged correctly.
However I would have expected to see a charging voltage of 14 volts or so after start up with nothing switched on.
The reading of 13.2 volts is not too bad for what you had switched on
Voltage across your battery terminals is only the voltage NOT the charging amps.
The only way to determine your charging amps is to make a CURRENT measurement.
As I said the best and safest way is to use a "clamp" meter as this type of meter measures the current flow without having to disturb any battery wiring when the engine is running.
Google "current clamp meter" or "car battery charging amps" for more info

Last edited:
Hi All, I last posted that my voltage across the battery terminals was 13.2V with engine running, I was worrying that there wouldn't enough charge and the car would stall at a parking lot. It has been 3 weeks since then, and during this period of time, I did only short trips on and off and the car still performed its duties. I guess I don't have to worry anymore about getting it to 14V while the engine is running, am I right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom