c220 diesel "shaking" power loss

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

carneiro

my 96 c220d van is driving me mad.
At 1800/2000 rpm it shakes (lack of power), specialy driving up hill.
I also notice that some air is coming from the pump to the filter when i acelarete. I' ve changed the fuel Filter and those plastic tubes.
can anybody help?

Hello. I`m from Norway, and I just had that problem on my w210.
I changed a part, don`t know what it is named in english.
Something like" air- mass meter".... Maybe you understand?

Interesting - my S420 (petrol) does a similar thing sometimes. When I go up a hill, quite steep on a motorway, I occaisionally get a slight misfire. I say misfire because thats what it feels like but it's hard to tell if one cylinder isn't working intermittently when the other seven presumably are.

Has anyone else had an 'uphill misfire' problem with a petrol engine ?

carneiro said:
my 96 c220d van is driving me mad.
At 1800/2000 rpm it shakes (lack of power), specialy driving up hill.
I also notice that some air is coming from the pump to the filter when i acelarete. I' ve changed the fuel Filter and those plastic tubes.
can anybody help?

You are definately sucking air into the fuel when the pump has high demand.

Carefully check all the plastic lines, the filter, the pre filter, fuel heater, alloy casting, and that the fuel lines from the tank aren't blocked or leaking air.

Where you first see the air is where it's leaking.

As a test you can bypass the filterhead with a seperate pipe.

hi dielselman what nice tip, i'll check those parts you mentioned.
i'm not sure if 96 w202 c220d as a pre filter???
in my old w124 200d it's easy to see it near the fuel pump, but in the w202 i can't see it.
i'll keep in touch as soon as figure out something. tanks also to Lazybob, sonysupreme for coming in.

The pre filter is inside the filterhead casting to the right of the main filter. It's where the feed pipe first connects to.

I've only had mine a week and noticed air being dragged into the fuel lines,I haven't got my Haynes manual yet but I took a screwdriver to one of the hose clips and that sorted quite a few bubbles but it's still doing it.
When I know where to look I'll let you know how I went on.
I hope it's a simple fix.
The clip I tightened was the black one that is sort of attached to the engine,then it feeds a clear tube to the fuel filter.

The Haynes manual sucks when it comes to lookiing for fuel lines.
It looks like I'll have to start crawling under the car.
Any luck yet carneiro.I have a C220D too.1995.

Probably not at all relevent but ....
Years ago I had an old 1600cc Astra Diesel with about 250K miles , it started behaving very strangely , at certain revs , it would feel like there was no return spring in the injection pump , and then it started breaking injection pipes . No one could find the problem , I was going to pull the pump for a rebuild it didn't need , and it turned out that on of the steady bracket bolts was loose , a quick tighten and all was well again , that flimsy little bracket was all it took between the pump resonating and causing the problems , and normal running .

Hey carneiro,did you check the condition of the O-rings on the attachments that the clear fuel tubes go onto,they are the ones that go into the top of the Fuel filter casting?
Or did the clear tubes come as a complete item with the black plastic attachment and the O-rings?
I think that is where my problem lies.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom