C220 Engine Drama

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Corrado

Car
Civit 1.8VTEC
Hi. Midnight last night, driving home from Leatherhead, on routine acceleration out of a roundabaout the engine went ape! I've heard of diesel runaway but its quite a shock when it happens. Having knocked it into N I pulled up, put of the hazard warning lights and got out as fast as possible. I looked back through clouds of smoke to see traffic approaching and overtaking in the outside lane of the dual carriageway. It went on at excessive and noisy revs for several minutes, then started to falter and eventually slow to a stop.

I went a little closer.

There was some unfinished business still going on (sizzling) under the bonnet, so 'gave it a few minutes'.

LV sent someone urgently as I was pretty much blocking a lane. I did the warning triangle and standing behind a barrier bit. There was a call back from LV - "sorry, with Goodwood on our drivers are very busy tonight"! So 2 hours later a kind chap from Westbourne Motors arrived and brought me & the car 30 miles home at 3am. Meanwhile, full marks and thanks to Surrey police who were able to tow the car a few hundred yards to get the car clear the carriageway.

I can only think the damage will be several/many parts of the engine, turbo, DPF. At 11 years old the car must be a write-off (though the only malfunction showing is coolant level, so perhaps its ok
crazy.gif
)

The 'upside' is that this morning I woke to find a four-wheel obsidian black plant pot in the drive.

Now the race is on to find a worthy petrol replacement, whether MB or not.

Glad to hear that you are okay and nobody else was caught up in this. Scary thing to happen. Well done to the Police for pulling your car of the carriageway.

Hi. Midnight last night, driving home from Leatherhead, on routine acceleration out of a roundabaout the engine went ape! I've heard of diesel runaway but its quite a shock when it happens. Having knocked it into N I pulled up, put of the hazard warning lights and got out as fast as possible. I looked back through clouds of smoke to see traffic approaching and overtaking in the outside lane of the dual carriageway. It went on at excessive and noisy revs for several minutes, then started to falter and eventually slow to a stop.

I went a little closer.

There was some unfinished business still going on (sizzling) under the bonnet, so 'gave it a few minutes'.

LV sent someone urgently as I was pretty much blocking a lane. I did the warning triangle and standing behind a barrier bit. There was a call back from LV - "sorry, with Goodwood on our drivers are very busy tonight"! So 2 hours later a kind chap from Westbourne Motors arrived and brought me & the car 30 miles home at 3am. Meanwhile, full marks and thanks to Surrey police who were able to tow the car a few hundred yards to get the car clear the carriageway.

I can only think the damage will be several/many parts of the engine, turbo, DPF. At 11 years old the car must be a write-off (though the only malfunction showing is coolant level, so perhaps its ok)

The 'upside' is that this morning I woke to find a four-wheel obsidian black plant pot in the drive.

Now the race is on to find a worthy petrol replacement, whether MB or not.

Is it a snag with C220s? I'm not alone!

https://m.reddit.com/r/videos/comments/27arko/diesel_engine_runaway/

What model year is the C220?

What model year is the C220?

It was an 05 2005

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom