C220 Espirit diesel EC light comes on and engine clatter,help please.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

badoffroader

Car
c220
Hi,i've just bought the C220,its a 1995 non turbo auto,It does'nt like being started first thing in the morning and takes 3 attempts and then has to be left to warm up for 10 minutes - it has 224000 miles on it - i guess this will probably be the glow plugs which are next on the list to be done.Occasionally when i drive off when its warmed up for 10 minutes the EDC light will come on and the engine will lose power and make a clattering noise like a tractor,i can turn the engine off,restart and everythings fine.Otherwise it drives well though a little underpowered being non turbo.Can anyone point me in the right direction to solve this problem please.Thanks.:dk:

hi, I have the same year/model and reference the EDC light, check for air bubbles in the clear pipes running to and from the fuel filter, mine does it if not used everyday,it does self bleed though so the pipe replacement ( which isnt supposed to be expensive lol) can wait till its warmer.

ps. just noticed you mention the EDC coming on after its warmed up,this is different from mine,once mines running she's ok, might still be worth checking for air though,can see it easily on mine before you try start her. good luck and welcome along mate.

The CDi should not need glowplugs to start in cold weather but if they are gone it is indicated in mine by the glowplug light on the dash coming back on after start up. With that mileage on the car I would be inclined to take the EGR valve off and see how much crud is in there blocking off the air supply to the engine, you may be surprised! After that I think it will be a trip to the garage for STAR diagnostics. Good luck.

Thanks for the info folks,i will have a look at the EGR valve an air bubbles in the pipe but i'm a little more concerned about the clattering noise it makes when the light comes on.Thanks again.

That sounds more like injector trouble. Definitely get it on a STAR before any further damage is done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom