C220 HANDBRAKE NIGHTMARE <HELP>

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

delb0y

Car
W124 300 E // W211 320 cdi
Hi Folks

Just picked up my C220 CDI manual
However i feel there is a problem with the handbrake release
To engage it i pull out the level and press the footbrake and to release it i was told to pull the release level after finding the bite and then take off
But each time i pull the lever the handbrake light still stays on and it starts to bleep saying brake is still on and im having to pull the lever out while driving and using my foot to pull up the footbrake pedal with my foot ... !!! How can this work when on a steep hill ? I cant use my left foot pulling up the footbrake pedal when its on the clutch can i ??

someone please advise as im taking it back in the morning :crazy:

Unlike some other manufacturers (Citroen for example) unless MB have changed somethign recently, you do not pull out the lever out prior to pushing the pedal to engage the brake.

The pedal should release fully, swiftly of it's own accord once you pull the release lever.

Fingers crossed the way you are applying the brake is the cause and easily cured.

What the manual tells me is press the handbrake pedal firmly to engage handbrake and to release it bring the car to biting point and pull the hand lever. This is what I am doing but the light still stays on and the handbrake is released but not fully. I have to then pull up on the foot pedal to release it completely.

You have a fault then, back to the dealer with it!

GrahamC230K
Just for info.
The Citroen parking brake is identical to the MB one other than you can lock the release latch in either the unlatched or latched position, whereas on MB it can only be in the latched position.

GrahamC230K said:
You have a fault then, back to the dealer with it!

Agreed, it sounds like the return spring is broken.

there is a linkage which is under the rear set it can stick causeing the light to stay on
if you remove the rear seat you can gain access to it, lub it and work the handbrake afew times it should free off so that the cable will now go all the way back and now the light will not be on anymore.

hope this helps you

Dieselman said:
GrahamC230K
Just for info.
The Citroen parking brake is identical to the MB one other than you can lock the release latch in either the unlatched or latched position, whereas on MB it can only be in the latched position.

Not sure I understand your description, but i am sure we agree. I had been driving a Citroen XM prior to either of my MB's, the instructions for use on both differ as per my post.

Anyway, back to MB's..........

GrahamC230K said:
Not sure I understand your description, but i am sure we agree. I had been driving a Citroen XM prior to either of my MB's, the instructions for use on both differ as per my post.

Anyway, back to MB's..........

Sorry for the confusion. The XM handbrake release can be left in either the ready to latch or the released position, however the MB latch handle can only be in the ready to latch state as it has a spring return.

What did you think of the XM?

...nothing to add to the tread but I'd like to say that MB handbrake is not the best solution for manual tranny...I've done a couple of risk situation due to unintentional release of handbrake lever!

...but it's really nice and different to other car manufacturer!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom