c220 multiple error messages, engine starts but won't engage gear

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

JulianB

Car
c220 2011 204
2011 w204 C220 Diesel auto estate with 114K miles.
Transient error initially saying multiple warnings on ignition on: runflat, seatbelt
These went away on starting.
Then multiple errors reported including the above and Cruise control but the rear tailgate wouldnt open and while the car started perfectly the gear shift wouldnt move out of Park.
RAC called and geres the report:
STARTING BUT NOT ENGAGING ANY

GEAR - BOOT WOULD NOT OPEN - MULTIPLE WARNINGS PRESENTED

ON ARRIVAL MULTIPLE WARNINGS ARE PRESENTED - ENGINE FAN IS RUNNING FULL SPEED -

UNABLE TO SELECT ANY GEAR - QUICK TEST PROVIDES MULTIPLE CURRENT AND STORED CODES IN THE CDI, VGS, SRS AND REAR SAM CONTROL UNITS - PROCESS CODES AND

INVESTIGATE THE REAR SAM CURRENT CODE - B214B72 THE OUTPUT FOR SWITCH "NO LOAD CURRENT ON " HAS A MALFUNCTION - THE ACTUATOR DOES NOT CLOSE - TEST PLAN CONFIRMS CIRCUIT 30g HAS ZERO VOLTS - ACTUATION TEST DOES NOT FUNCTION F32k2 UNIT - TEST PLAN REQUIRES SPECAIL TEST PROBE LINK WIRES FOR FURTHER TESTING - NOT A VAN STOCK ITEM - TEMPORILY BYPASS CIRCUIT AND ALL WARNIGS HAVE CLEARED - GEAR SELCTION IS POSSIBLE AND ALL CODES ARE NOW STORED - DISCUSS SUSPECTED F32k8 PREFUSE BOX MALFUNCTION.

We shorted the front and rear terminals of the Prefuse box (the one with the jumpstart connector tab) and the problem went away (!).

I have replaced the pre-fuse box and all the symptoms are gone.
(Except I now have the battery warning light on <1 min after starting but I think this is not related.)

Exactly the same issue with me & I replaced Prefuse box myself (first bit of proper car maintenance I've ever done - scary but not too bad in the end!).

I discovered this thread on MBWorld which saved my bacon (esp. posts by 'MBTech'):
https://mbworld.org/forums/c-class-...c-r-l-srs-abs-cas-ge-failure-malfunction.html

Messages came up before starting engine (which always started fine, loud fan noise), but couldn't put car into drive (auto gearbox). Various electrical stuff not working (see messages below). In the interim period, I popped up the gear stick cover using a credit card and beneath is a yellow tab you can pull which allows you to put car into gear. No power steering though so far from ideal.

Example pic of yellow tab here: https://www.pistonheads.com/gassing/topic.asp?t=1094388

MESSAGES ON DISPLAY:

- Restraint system malfunction consult workshop
- Cruise control and speedtronic
inoperative
- PRE-SAFE inoperable
- Run flat indicator inoperative
- Front left malfunction
- ABS inoperative
- Parking guidance inoperative
- Engine will start

Started happening on cold start in the morning (only) but didn't persist until the next day cold start. After 2-3 weeks, started happening again on the same day.

*Once car had warmed up (5 minutes of idling or driving a couple of miles), switching it engine etc off & on again tended to make it kick back into normal working order.*

Anyway, I got the part number off the prefuse box, ordered a new one online (£160) then fitted it - took about 2 hours and must've saved me £500-£800.

JulianB Can you tell me what exactly had you short-circuited on prefuse box F32 ? I have a picture as exemple.
Thanks _20190630_000822.JPG

Sorry Dkbkl, The RAC/mercedes emergency support mad did it but I think as I said it was the very front one and the positive terminal that you use to jump start. my guess is that thats 1 and 3 on your diagram.

Hi all - I have a 2012 Mercedes C180 auto AMG - 36,000 miles on the clock. After I start the car and pull away I often get a Parking Brake warning light that then disappears (I've checked that the brake is not engaged), often I will then get an 'ABS currently unavailable' message that then disappears and less often I will get a 'Front Left airbag malfunction' followed by a 'Front Right airbag malfunction' and both then disappear. Apart from these warnings the car drives fine! My local independent garage after some 'head scratching' changed the alternator but these warnings still started again. Anyone else had these issues and found a solution? Many thanks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom