C220 W124 Lacking in power

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

cityoflight

Car
W124 E220 1996 2D Coupe
Hello everybody, I wondered if I might enlist peoples help for a minute,

I know these questions have been asked before, I have trawled the internet for days now looking for ideas and I'm a little bit fragile.

I have a 1996 E220 Coupe w124 with an M111 engine. It is simply too slow, and just won't do, however the car is sentimental to me and I will be keeping it regardless, so I want to find ANY way to gain some much needed speed and overcome the lumbering carnal spirit that plagues my drives.

I have heard the K & N air filters don't really make much of a difference, and a performance chip would be no good because the injection is not controlled via the ecu.

So what can I do? There must be something? Different plugs? polishing ports?
What would work?

Aside from forking out a fortune for a turbo or supercharger which I'm having difficulty finding anyway.

Please help me out, I'm itching to get started!!

the injection IS controlled by the ECU but without a turbo, chipping will not achieve much.

What car are you comparing the performance with ?

Perhaps the engine is in limp mode. There is no light to show this fact, however.

I would get the codes read by someone that is familiar with that generation of Merc. and go from there.

Let us know what codes are found after the initial codes are cleared, and car driven to reveal latest fault codes.

The E220 coupe is never going to win the traffic light Grand Prix-- What it should do however is cruise effortlessly at 70-90 since the engine is putting out its maximum 210Nm torque at 4,000 rpm. I wonder if your adjustable inlet Camshaft timing mechanism is working correctly which will make a big difference to how the car drives.
Otherwise turbo/supercharging is really your only option for noticeable large power/torque increase across the rev range . The engine can easily take this as it forms the basis of the later C230 compressor engine. You would of course be advised to upgrade the brakes and suspension to 6 cylinder model status at the same time.

Last edited:
so really the answer is find a decent 320! Faceatious I know but will probably be ultimately cheaper. Look up De Godfather in membership list and then go through threads he created - there one where he increased the power on his saloon

or just buy this one

LINK

HG done so just need to budget for wiring loom. comes with the electric toys

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom