c220 (w202) Catalyst Problems > Help!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

BimMerc

Hello folks....

As you might know, I have a problem with a lack of power and rattling underneath the car when pushed off the mark.

Took it in to two garages (both friends of mine) and both said the CAT. was most probably knackered.

Does anybody know a good place to get hold of a CAT? I am unsure as to the setup of the exhaust system on the C220 (w202) so any advice would be appreciated as to the setup, how many boxes etc and where to get a CAT.

I am reluctant to drive it now as the performance is just terrible and I don't want to make anything else any worse :(

BimMerc

hmm I have just found a really good site for Cats.

http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk

Seems they offer 3 yr guarantees on pertol metal cats and 2 yrs on the ceramics.

Includes downpipe for the w202 price of £266+vat and delivery....hmm!!

Any comments on this anyone?

BimMerc

guys.......!

Alps recently had a new performance cat fitted with custom stainless feeder pipes and was very happy with the quality of the work. I think the company makes custom exhausts. You could pm him for details.

It wasn't too expensive, however it was for a c36.

I am considering getting one done for my c36 in the next few months.

I think my cat makes a crackling noise like the engine is 'pinking' or detonating. Or the engine is detonating, it only does it just as I add little power to the drivetrain, when accelerating it stops making the noise.

I hope that helps.

Thamks for the info I will PM him!

Anybody else had any more information on the Cat. or perhaps a view on B&M Cats?

thanks!

All Sorted!

Got stainless steel CAT fitted, with 3 yrs guarantee, and fitting kit all in for £320
Runs wicked now, no noise other than the sweet 2.2!

BimMerc

Who did you choose?

BimMerc said:
hmm I have just found a really good site for Cats.

http://www.bmcatalysts.co.uk

Seems they offer 3 yr guarantees on pertol metal cats and 2 yrs on the ceramics.

Includes downpipe for the w202 price of £266+vat and delivery....hmm!!

Any comments on this anyone?

BimMerc

A bit late in spotting this one, these people have a really and I mean really bad reputation in the trade, there parts are very cheap but the quality is shocking. Nothing fits straight on and everything needs 'jiggling' to fit. Had no experience myself, just what I hear from the garages.

Hmm sounds weird Jimmy.

Its all stainless steel construction, CAT has the protection plate on it, and 3 years warranty on it aswell. I sat at the garage whilst it was being fitted. He took the old one off to compare it first and it was exactly the same in size and shape. Took him about 20 mins to fit the new one, required no banging or any jiggling around. It was a direct fit replacement CAT though, with downpipe (twin downpipe)

I would think though that perhaps some of their products might not be brill, same with most firms. Just mass produced boxes.

If anything goes wrong with it I suppose its under 3 yr warranty, so in the worst case I will have to have it exchanged. I got the steel monolith type.

BimMerc

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom