C220 w203 Thermostat

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

merc07

Car
C350cdi & C220cdi
The engine only gets to 60C on a cold morning and the heater never really warms up, this is after a 20 mile run, including 8 miles on the motorway.

I guess the first thing to look at is the original thermostat which is 190k miles old.

What is the cost of a genuine from Mercedes and is this Mahle from Parts in Motion the exact same unit ?

Also, is anything else needed at the same time ?

I can't answer your question, but can offer some advice. There are a couple of plastic fuel pipes which run close to the thermostat and have to be wrangled out of the way. They become brittle and can easily crack with even moderately rough treatment, so tread with care.

Use code save5 on partsinmotion website £24.62 freepost.

Original equipment is made by behr costs £58 .

I very much doubt the one thats fitted is from birth and seen 190k.

Use code save5 on partsinmotion website £24.62 freepost.

Original equipment is made by behr costs £58 .

I very much doubt the one thats fitted is from birth and seen 190k.
Thanks, will check for those pipes and see what the job looks like later, then decide whether to let a local garage do it.
Quick look, found the behr..

I have had the car from new, no thermostat has been fitted in the past.
Mind you I don't drive it, could have been like it for ages...

Also, not had a chance to look yet but is the thermostat / reaction monitored, would a problem show up in icarsoft or is it just dumb.

Last edited:
No. Icarsoft would just show temperatures.

No. Icarsoft would just show temperatures.
Cheers, and just to confuse things....one and the same..guess someone got taken over

Cheers, and just to confuse things....one and the same..guess someone got taken over

As a rule on here we all try to find out who makes for mercedes and shop direct from them , mercedes just like to add their cut and pass parts on as genuine.

Ordered from partsinmotion website, will see what's involved next week...

Sounds like syphoning the expansion tank might make the job easier, no need to drain the whole system ?

Sounds like syphoning the expansion tank might make the job easier, no need to drain the whole system ?
Park facing uphill. Empty the tank so you can use it later into a bottle etc. You won't lose any , but maybe half a cup full.

All done, took me about an hour, just siphoned 3 litres from the header tank, parked with the front slightly higher and didn't loose a drop.
Had to remove the oil filter as mentioned, no chance of getting on the lower 2 bolts otherwise.

10mins on idle with the header cap off, then twice round a 2 mile block and it was up to 90 already.

Slight hissing weep from the small pipe on the stat, tweaked and all ok, will check after a longer run..

Thanks !

Attachments

• 20211111_142102.jpg
    20211111_142102.jpg
    986.7 KB · Views: 3
  • 20211111_142039.jpg
    20211111_142039.jpg
    789.8 KB · Views: 3

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom