C220 (w204 2009 auto) not starting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Bottlehead

Car
C220 CDI
I have a problem starting my 2009 C220 sport this morning. I have been using the car weekly, last run yesterday.
I unlocked the car with the remote key fob. Opened the drivers door and the wing mirrors moved into their driving position.
Inserted the key and turned it - nothing. The center display was blank, none of the usual engine icons displayed before starting. The steering lock was not disengaged and I could not shift the automatic gear selector.
I tried the spare key, with no luck.
Any ideas on fuses to check, or do I need to call an engineer.

I'd first connect a charger to the car battery and let it charge for a while, see if that changes things (especially if the charger goes to full charge rate straight away). I only use my C220 S204 2008 once a week at the moment and then possibly just for a few miles, I have a battery condition monitor connected where it's visible through the tailgate and have found I need to put the charger on every 2-3 weeks as even parked up the alarm system etc is a continuous slow drain of the battery.

This is the W204 steering-lock motor failure. It usually happens out of the blue.
Try thumping the steering column and see if the lock disengages.
Otherwise have the car recovered to your nearest reputable indy and have the ESL replaced.

I'd first connect a charger to the car battery and let it charge for a while
This certainly is a problem with my wife's 2010 SLK 200. It has much less use and needs to be charged if not run for a month. The last time the battery was so flat I had to reset the clock date and time after recharging.

This is the W204 steering-lock motor failure. It usually happens out of the blue.
Try thumping the steering column and see if the lock disengages.
Otherwise have the car recovered to your nearest reputable indy and have the ESL replaced.
Thanks alecmascot, this seems to be the issue. After a bit of jiggling this morning, the steering lock released and the ignition was active and the engine started.
I have lost confidence in the car, though, and after 157k miles I think it is time to move it on. I still have a spare set of 16" alloys with winter wheels I will be looking to sell.

My SLK normally lives in the garage where I have power available so she has a battery conditioner connected full time. Can't do that with the S204 as it lives on the driveway, hence the condition monitor. Thankfully I have a long enough extension reel and have found that I can close the tailgate over the cable leaving the car on charge but locked and alarmed!

Thanks alecmascot, this seems to be the issue. After a bit of jiggling this morning, the steering lock released and the ignition was active and the engine started.
I have lost confidence in the car, though, and after 157k miles I think it is time to move it on. I still have a spare set of 16" alloys with winter wheels I will be looking to sell.
Don't ignore it. If you are still driving the car it will fail solid at the most inopportune time.
Mine was fixed by a previous owner at an indy for about £400;.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom