C220 w204 completely dead

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

MerKi

Car
W204 c class
Hi people.

So I did a diagnostics scan using ICARSOFT mb2 on Friday night but forgot to disconnect it when I was done. Saturday evening, the car was completely dead. Couldn't open the door with the fob, couldn't turn on the lights or radio, nothing.

So today I bought a socket set and battery charger. I've brought the battery inside to charge up but the charger is telling me it's full straight away.

Is it possible I blew a fuse, or worse, by keeping the scanner connected to the odb2 port for so long?

Well given the battery is fully charged it would seem you have damaged the ECU,I hope not because this will be expensive to fix,just why did you connect a scanner to your car,was something wrong with it?

doubtful its damaged the ecu. the ecu would have shut off the power to the obd scanner once its reached a certain point. ive done that before for a few hours and not had a problem. Have you re-connected your battery up and tried it again ? Sounds like something simple. At worst hopefully a fuse. I dont think them scanners are designed to be on for such long straight periods of time. Try the scanner on another car if u can. If the scanner is dead then its quite possible some serious electronic damage has been done to ur car. Fingers crossed thats not the case !

Look this costs nothing to do take the two leads of the battery and tape them together for a 20 mins then reconnect them to the battery,it may solve nothing but worth a try,this must be crazy sunday we have three new members who have in various ways rendered their cars into a brick.

Soon be able to build a wall

Think what he means bud is with your battery disconnected and away from the car. tape the - and + leads OF THE CAR LEADS THAT NORMALLY ATTACH TO THE BATTERY. TAPE THEM TOGETHER. What that will do is discharge things. Then untape the leads and attach to your battery as normal . IS THIS WHAT YOU MEAN zipdip ? ( yeah i did notice it was turning into crazy sunday for dead cars in the forum) . Eeeeeeeek !

Look this costs nothing to do take the two leads of the battery and tape them together for a 20 mins then reconnect them to the battery,it may solve nothing but worth a try,this must be crazy sunday we have three new members who have in various ways rendered their cars into a brick.

why did you connect a scanner to your car,was something wrong with it?

Had the dpf cleaned recently as it blocked. I still have a fault with the car, which doesn't seem to occur if I have at least half a tank of petrol but until I get the money together to find the fault and repair it, I scan it regularly to keep an eye on the dpf and make sure it is still regenerating.

Since original post I realised I didn't connect the battery charger properly (should have read the instructions), so it was telling me the battery was full but it hadn't actually checked.

It's charging now so I'll try it in the car tomorrow and take it from there. Will update tomorrow, thanks for the replies people.

Thank heavens for small mercies one down now what about the other two cars that are dead,I should say well done MerKi it takes guts to admit a massive mistake,never mind we have all done things like this ,pleased you posted your problem it liven up our sunday.

If it occurs when you are at a lower level of fuel. Have you ruled out fuel filter ? A dodgy fuel filter or a clogged fuel filter will kick up all sorts of lovely false errors.

Had the dpf cleaned recently as it blocked. I still have a fault with the car, which doesn't seem to occur if I have at least half a tank of petrol but until I get the money together to find the fault and repair it, I scan it regularly to keep an eye on the dpf and make sure it is still regenerating.

The icarsoft scanner WILL discharge the battery if it is left plugged in and WILL NOT damage your ECU. Simply recharge your battery and all should be well.
Make sure that you connect positive first and then the earth and make sure the key is not in the ignition, or if keyless that it is not in communication.

One word of caution, if your battery was completely discharged it is then "an empty vessel" and if you connected the charger the wrong way around there is a possibility of reversing the polarity.

Check the polarity before you connect it to the car, otherwise you will be in big trouble.

I have left the icarsoft plugged in to my S203 and it drained a new battery but it did not cause any other problems.

Update: battery charged, car working, athough engine management light is back on.

If it occurs when you are at a lower level of fuel. Have you ruled out fuel filter ? A dodgy fuel filter or a clogged fuel filter will kick up all sorts of lovely false errors.

Had a full service including all filters and transmission fluid just recently. Before that I was getting different codes all the time. Since then I get one of 3, usually when I put my foot down with below half tank. A fuel pressure code is the most occurring I think.

I have left the icarsoft plugged in to my S203 and it drained a new battery but it did not cause any other problems.

Did your ICarSoft work after? Mine is giving me an error.

If you had reversed charged your battery initially and then recharged it the correct way it will work but not at full capacity as the donor side will have become the receiver and vise versa and it will gradually deteriorate.
Check its output.
I imagine that you have a fuel transfer problem in the tank.

My Icarsoft worked fine after leaving in on. Perhaps you blew a fuse for the obd or bent a pin.
Plug it into the computer and see if you can update it

How old is your battery?

Never been changed from what I can tell. The car is 8 years old and I've had it for 3.

Not sure if I should make a new thread for this but the car is working now, drives fine, although the eml is on and I have a new code that is always present (even after clearing the EML and codes, it shows up immediately on rescan).

"P012300 position sensor for the throttle valve has a short circuit to positive." And after taking the car round the block and rescanning I also got "B210A00 power supply in the system is too low."

Anyone have any ideas of why this is happening now?

(Just to clarify things, I did not mean that I mixed up the + and - when I connected the battery charger incorrectly in a previous post. I did not switch it off from the mains before connecting it to the battery, so it's safety features would not allow it to charge.)

Sounds like your throttle positioning (TPS) sensor is shot. This may also cause limp home mode, EML and possible kagerooing.

Sounds like your throttle positioning (TPS) sensor is shot. This may also cause limp home mode, EML and possible kagerooing.

I read somewhere that after battery going dead, sometimes it causes electrical problems that require Star to reset. I was hopin it might just be that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom