C220 W204 fails to crank over.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

nashy54

Car
C220
I've done quite a bit of googling on this.

2009 C220,insert key,steering lock releases and steering wheel is free to move,ignition lights come on,but next key turn nothing happens?Tried both cars also,no difference.

From what I've read it could starter motor,battery,esl,eis,fuse....the list is endless.

Anyone got any checks I could do before admitting defeat and getting the lump towed off my drive.

Hi...can you hear a clicking noise of the starter motor when you turn the key fully?

No noise from starter, is the starter fuse within the engine compartment fuse box? also worthy of note the battery is the original from the factory the neg pole has 25/09 stamped on it 25th week of 2009??

Anyone confirm fuses 6 / 7 / 19 / 27 are related to the starter?

If automatic transmission, check also the inhibitor (the switch that prevents the engine from starting when not in P).

You can test this by applying live feed from the battery directly to the starter positive terminal (bypassing the ignition switch), but this needs to done very carefully i.e. with the gear in P and someone sitting at the driver's seat with the foot on the brake pedal.

If automatic transmission, check also the inhibitor (the switch that prevents the engine from starting when not in P).

You can test this by applying live feed from the battery directly to the starter positive terminal (bypassing the ignition switch), but this needs to done very carefully i.e. with the gear in P and someone sitting at the driver's seat with the foot on the brake pedal.

For info I've tried starting the car in P and N still the same.

To summarise I'm gonna check battery voltage,starter fuses,give starter a few taps and check connections,my biggest fear is the eis and cost involved.

For info I've tried starting the car in P and N still the same.....

Yes, but if the inhibitor switch is faulty, then it won't start even when in P....

Tested battery earlier, reads 11.8v, google tells me its goosed and about 30% efficient.

Gonna cost me a £80 for a new one, apprehensive as I've been here before buying car batteries and its doesn't fix the fault.

nashy54 said:
Tested battery earlier, reads 11.8v, google tells me its goosed and about 30% efficient. Gonna cost me a £80 for a new one, apprehensive as I've been here before buying car batteries and its doesn't fix the fault.

You need to check that you have voltage at the starter before buying a new battery. At 11.8 I would still think you would get some attempt to crank/start.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Tested battery earlier, reads 11.8v, google tells me its goosed and about 30% efficient.

Gonna cost me a £80 for a new one, apprehensive as I've been here before buying car batteries and its doesn't fix the fault.

If you have not been able to start the car for some time ... and you keep locking/unlocking the doors, turning the ignition on etc... you are likely to see a drop in battery voltage eventually.

The battery should be tested when fully charged. You could buy a jump-started at Halforfs and see if this gets the engine going. My guess is it wouldn't, becuase with a weak battery you would have heard the solenoid ticking.

The issue seems to me to be either ECU related, of the inhibitor switch as above, etc, but not simply a weak battery.

Gonna try the jump start.

Also take a look at starter,do both the undertrays need to be dropped from beneath to gain access?

You need to check that you have voltage at the starter before buying a new battery. At 11.8 I would still think you would get some attempt to crank/start.

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

Agreed. 11.8v wouldn't immediately suggest a dead battery to me.

Car still the same after trying jump leads,also earthed the battery to the engine block in attempt to rule out dodgy earth,no change.

Its off to have codes read,guy reckons starter,eis/esl or gearbox inhibitor.

Will update in due course.

Car now fixed......

No faults codes read, Green relay in engine bay fusebox, removed and technically tapped, replaced and car fired up.

Tyco 002 542 23 19 Green coloured.

Told to buy another as this one may be breaking down.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom