C220cdi Estate - Rear Lights Problems 2003

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

leicschris

Car
2001 w220 320cdi
Hi All

Today we bought a 2003 C Class Estate, (220cdi) which has a couple of problems, mainly the rear brake lights stay permanently on, and the rear indicator lights don't work at all.

I did think the brake light problem may have been the brake switch as had a similar problem with our w220 but on the w220 the esp/bas warnings also came up, and on the w203/s203 the brake switch is on the servo and not the pedal.

I am assuming both brake lights and rear indicator faults are connected though they may not be. What about the rear SAM?

Any ideas guys, anyone come across this before?

Thanks

Chris

Hi

As an update, I had the car put on the star today and it appears the rear Sam is faulty.

The faults were like shorts, short to positive and open circuit

The tester said it was the rear Sam and he has changed loads without having to code them on star but searching this forum suggests it needs to be coded.

Can anyone confirm which is correct, can I change it myself as its straight forward or do I need to get it coded

Chris

Hi All

No replies?, maybe its not that common, but to update further, I fitted new rear SAM today and all lights back to normal, rear indicators now working and brake lights only light when brake pedal pressed, so original SAM was at fault.

Strangely, only one rear fog light work even though there is a bulb at each side. I know one is only required by law but on the Jags and Volvo's both sides work if bulbs fitted in the holders. Is this not the case on Mercs, can it be changed?

Thanks

Chris

Last edited:
In some models it can be coded via star to using both rear fogs. Not most common knowledge how (coding in developer mode only if I recall right).

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom