C220CDI Operating Temperature

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Mark220

Car
C220cdi
I've a 2003 C220Cdi which has only done 60000 miles and has been a great car. It runs really well but the other evening i noticed the engine seemed to take time to warm up and wondered if this was usual or not. It was about freezing and i had the heating on in the car. It took about 20 minutes for the engine to get to 50 degrees (on the gauge on the dash) and eventually got to 80 degrees after about an hour. Is this usual or should i look at replacing the thermostat? Are there any other common problems i should be aware of.

Regards

Thats seems a long time for it to reach its temperature. I would replace the thermostat. I suppose you could also have a bit of a blockage somewhere.

If it eventually gets to temp then the 'stat might be OK. They do take a long time to warm up in cold weather, although an hour is pushing it. What sort of driving was it?

Does your car have the electric auxiliary heater, as on the facelift models? Mine works below 8C and is set using the cluster computer. I have mine on auto, but it can be set to off, or off with a/c button off (I think they're the settings).

All, thanks for the responses.

This was driving on a B road for about 10 miles at about 40-50mph and then driving on a clear dual carriageway / motorway for the remainder. I'm not sure if it has the electric auxillary heater. The a/c button was off.

I suspect it may be the thermo so will get this chhecked / replaced.

Regards Mark

Yeah B road 10 miles at that speed may not get it up to temp depending on your driving style, easy check, get it on the dual carriageway/motorway and banzai until the temp gauge reads about 90 (usually only about 3 miles on my old crate) then slowdown for a few miles, if the engine temp drops then the thermo has gone south.

Hi swapped the thermostat and it's a bit better. With a new stat it warms up quicker but still slower than i would have expected - feedback is they're pretty slow to warm up.

The gauge doesn't go beyond 80C and took about 30 minutes to get there. Get to about 60C pretty quickly though (15 minutes).

Got a stat from an MB dealer (£42) - it comes with a new sensor and seal etc. If you siphon off the coolant from the header unit you don't need to bother draining the system. Fitted ok but it's a bit fiddly with the fuel pipes and the pipe at the bottom of the thermostat housing. You'll also need to remove the oil filter.

The original MB part also didn't have the threads tapped for the braket to fit so watch out if you get one - i've let MB know but ended up fitting it as didn't realise until the old one was off and it was a Saturday afternoon.

Thanks for all your advice and hope the above is useful.

Try blanking part or most of the rad off in this cold weather. Easy to fix something suitable to the back of the grille. I've done mine.

The original MB part also didn't have the threads tapped for the braket to fit so watch out if you get one - i've let MB know but ended up fitting it as didn't realise until the old one was off and it was a Saturday afternoon.

The new thermostat housing doesnt have the threads tapped into it..
I have done 2 now and neither had threads...
BUT
According to a "Howto" on the other side you tap your own thread with the bolt that you have removed from the old thermostat housing..
I know this sounds dodgy and unlikely but I have done my own and it works. Its not the end of the world if you dont do it to be honest..

I had the same thing, fitted the new stat and then spotted that there wasn't a thread for the bolt. I did the same as sspeed and tried the bolt that came out of the old one, as I didn't have a tap to cut a new thread, it screwed in perfectly.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom