C220cdi performance irregularities

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Stepper

Car
2003 C220cdi
Hi all
Just hoping someone may have a suggestion my C Class has sometimes seriously decent acceleration when using half travel on the accelerato.
And sometimes it really seems to have no go at all almost as if the exhaust was blocked by a banana just sluggish and even if you force the kick down it just revs as usual but has a reluctance to surge forward.
i am reasonably competent and just fitted a replacement stepper motor and did full fluids and every filter a while back.
suggestions please thanks.

I added 10mm of exercise mat to prevent WOT double gear drop where it just screams past peak power rpm and way past where the torque drops off and makes little progress forwards .

Egr or dpf( if fitted) possibly

Have u tried reading the fault codes?

Looking at the engines live data and reading the codes will probably help guide you to the issue.

Hi no I haven’t gone down that route yet as it’s so intermittent today all was fine and really drove perfectly. ? The vac pipe on the egr inlet valve ( front of engine ) is disconnected would this cause issues. ?
thanks for your input.

It was blanked off with a steel stopper and the vacuum diaphragm was blocked with a tube cap. I just presumed the previous owner had done it to stop the egr from putting the burnt gases back through and thereby let it run on fresh air so I just left it.
would this be causing issues, I presumed ( wrongly maybe ) it wasn’t any bad thing to leave in place.

Maybe just needs a good bollo*king on the motorway?

Hi well it is so strange it has really impressive performance most of the time. I’ve had a few decent vehicles
Bmw520dse x2
Mercedes C220cdi x3
Honda dtec 1.6 tdi
Volvo v40 tdi
Golf tdi x4
And this is decent poke all bar the Bmw would be behind me in a 0-60
Will have to get my mate at his garage to plug his snap on tester into it and see if any codes show up. 😂
Seems very much like a restriction in the exhaust side. ??
Anyways will keep you all posted.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom