C220cdi, something's gone bang!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

LeBaron

Car
C220cdi, 2003 Avantgarde SE estate
C220cdi, Avantgarde SE estate, 03, 45k.

As you can see I don't use this much, bought new over 10 years ago. It's been a good car, and I have kept it away from the dealers.

however, last Friday I did use it, for the first time for 5 weeks, after travelling around 3 miles at slow speed (following a tractor for most of that) a very loud bang, sounded like a firework in a can, it literally shook the car. We were doing around 20, I cannot honestly say whether it was in the car or outside, my good lady was with me and we initially thought that it was under my seat. no smoke or smell, the engine was running fine.

Immediately we got out, I was almost expecting to see something blown apart, but no. I have since had it up on the ramp at out local general garage, nothing looks amiss, it runs fine, no malfunctions, the exhaust is sound and looks perfect. I've run it for 25 miles since, you would not know that anything had happened.

No evidence that we were being shot at, any ideas.

Alan

Broken rear spring?

LeBaron said:
C220cdi, Avantgarde SE estate, 03, 45k.

As you can see I don't use this much, bought new over 10 years ago. It's been a good car, and I have kept it away from the dealers.

however, last Friday I did use it, for the first time for 5 weeks, after travelling around 3 miles at slow speed (following a tractor for most of that) a very loud bang, sounded like a firework in a can, it literally shook the car. We were doing around 20, I cannot honestly say whether it was in the car or outside, my good lady was with me and we initially thought that it was under my seat. no smoke or smell, the engine was running fine.

Immediately we got out, I was almost expecting to see something blown apart, but no. I have since had it up on the ramp at out local general garage, nothing looks amiss, it runs fine, no malfunctions, the exhaust is sound and looks perfect. I've run it for 25 miles since, you would not know that anything had happened.

No evidence that we were being shot at, any ideas.

Alan

Mmmmmm , would put me money on rear brake shoes stuck on after handbrake being on for some time , the loud bang was the brakes freeing off , and they can make a right loud bang, if leaving car laid up for some time leave the handbrake off . Tony

Sent from my iPhone using MBClub UK

I'd agree with TJC, my mum was in India for 4 months, and after 2 of those months I had to take her 525i for it's MOT, and it made an almighty BANG as I drove it around to free everything up for the MOT. I took it to the MOT garage and told them about the noise, and after an hour they returned my call and said the rear brake shoes were to blame as the handbrake had been on and so the shoes were freeing up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom