c220cdi vs c250tdi ?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Shony

Thinking of bying one of this models, both 98 year.
Specs says c220cdi has more mpg and almost the same performance as 250tdi.
Any ideas which engine is better?
Now I have 300d w124 91
Thanks!

You are right in that the CDi engines are more economical and performance is very good, I would say from driving both that the C250TD has marginally better performance and better drivability throughout all speeds, the CDi always feel like they run out of go to quick.

Having the choice I would go for the CDi, when I was looking at buying mine the CDi's were a lot more expensive so I went for the TD, a good compromise between economy and performance.

The 220 goes Growl, Growl, the 250 goes whoosh, whoosh.
The cdi will definately give better mpg and probably quicker response, but the 250 will have more outright power and speed.

Drive both and then decide, it's personal choice as neither has any real foibles.

Thanks for info.
I'll try to testdrive both of them. sometimes its not permitted in our car shops. (I'm from Estonia)
One more question for jimmy. Does your 250 goes above 5000 rpms? like mine old 300d does.
or its limited to ~4000 like most of today's cars.

Dieselman said:
but the 250 will have more outright power and speed.

Drive both and then decide, it's personal choice as neither has any real foibles.

Totally agree, on just figures (how I hate them)

220CDI 0 - 62.5mph 10.8sec Top Speed 121mph 125bhp@4200rpm
250TD 0 - 62.5mph 9.9sec Top Speed 124mph 150bhp@4400rpm

I suppose it might answer your rpm question as well, but far better to hear it from an actual user.

Good luck with your decision,
John

glow plugs a pain to change on c250 td so i am told but can also stick in the head on c220 cdi i like my cdi and have driven both in real driving ie stop start traffic not much in it

Shony said:
Thinking of bying one of this models, both 98 year.
Specs says c220cdi has more mpg and almost the same performance as 250tdi.
Any ideas which engine is better?
Now I have 300d w124 91
Thanks!
I have had my c250 td for 2 years now, its done 78,000 miles
and is still like new....I have also driven the c220 cdi and have to say i think the c250 is the better car....my glow plugs have just started to give probs
and i have found them for 7ukp each. I may fit them myself because of all the problems i have had with MB sevice

ukgun said:
I have had my c250 td for 2 years now, its done 78,000 miles
and is still like new....I have also driven the c220 cdi and have to say i think the c250 is the better car....my glow plugs have just started to give probs
and i have found them for 7ukp each. I may fit them myself because of all the problems i have had with MB sevice

I have the 250TD. This is a proven engine, albeit using indirect injection. The CDI might do 5mpg more, but if you're looking at higher mileage examples compare the prices of injectors, sensors and fuel pumps etc... Personally I would again take the lower technology 250 TD route.

The engine sounds better too! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom