C220cdi W204 STOP START PROBLEM

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dafrog

Car
C220CDI AMG SPORT, CLK 500
My stop start was not working and no yellow ECO light on dash. Checked battery and that's ok. The ECO switch on dashborad not lighting either. It did though light up momentorarily when I was turning off and interior light last evening. On checking today, one roof switch seems faulty and while fiddling with it, the ECO came on. My manual disappeared a while ago so I cannot look up manual. I am sure no interior light has been left on to drain a battery but would a faulty switch affect the ECO please?

Charge your starter battery and if you have one, charge the auxiliary battery, mine is in the boot.
Lots of posts on this, some say your better off with it not working as it puts strain when restarting all the time.

Could well be the light draining the battery a little. The Eco stop start needs quite a few parameters to be met before it will switch on. A slightly discharged battery or a battery not holding 100% charge can cause it to malfunction, not switch on.

I had the main battery cause this issue. Car started fine but stop start never engaged. Then 6 months later the brake hold feature stopped working. Car still started fine.

Diagnosed as the main battery, new one fitted and all back to fully working brake hold and stop start.

These mercs are sensitive to poor batteries or lower battery volts.

cheers

It's an inherently flawed system. Ford forums are also littered with posts of start/stop issues. As said, it fundamentally puts a strain on the ancillary equipment and if currently now working, I would count your lucky stars and leave it alone. It's the same ethos that many years ago I was informed by my electrician that constantly switching on/off a fluorescent light bulb would make it fail prematurely - just leave it on and it'll last for years!

My stop start was not working and no yellow ECO light on dash. Checked battery and that's ok. The ECO switch on dashborad not lighting either.
If the light on the ECO button fails to light up this means that you are failing to even 'enable' the ECO start/stop feature. In this case, I would suspect a malfunction with your ECO start/stop system rather than a poorly performing battery.

Does your brake hold function work?

mine wasn't working before christmas i replaced the main battery and all good since then even during the recent cold spell,i would say if you have a dodgy light it is draining the battery just enough to make the eco not work but it has enough juice to start the car.

Charge overnight both batteries, then try again.

If there is no light on the button check the fuse on the auxillary battery in the boot or the battery itself.

I put a thread on with my stop start issues a few days ago. I ended up just taking the fuse out to turn it off. I get no light on the button now.

If there's no light on the ECO button, Start/Stop disabled itself.

This can happen when the main battery voltage goes below a certain value (around ~11.5v), or when one of the components affecting Start/Stop is faulty.

The former can be checked with a voltmeter (or from the cluster 'secret' menu). The latter can be diagnosed via reading the fault codes - do have an iCarsfort scanner?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom