C220d 2011 s204 sump pan leaking?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Brian220CDI

Car
C Class 220CDI S204 2011
Just after some advice? Sorry if been discussed before but I cant seam to find anything on the search Newbieeeeeeee!

Ive bought a C220d 2011 after 2 weeks Ive noticed oil on my driveway. Ive changed the oil filter housing as I thought that the garage that serviced the car snapped it when they did the service ( Only got it serviced for the service history ). I am looking at doing the sump sealant as I think that and the sump plug are my next job. Ive read somewhere that its a pig of a job but cant seam to find any info on the job. Can anyone help? After this I will be looking at turbo oil return pipe gaskets. Oil is everywhere underneath the car so having to do one job at a time.

P.s this is my first Merc so new to the system and layout. The oil filter housing job was a mission!

If you have only had the car for 2 weeks, I would return it to the dealer and ask them to fix it.
Under the Consumer Rights Act, you can return the car within 30 days for the dealer to repair it.
You can also reject the car within 30 days if the dealer refuses to repair the fault.

I would have done this but it was a private sale. Was a very cheap car compared to what was about at the time so expected jobs to do at the price and I dont mind getting my hands dirty as thats how I've saved money on the purchase.

Can you not identify the source of the leak?

While the pan can leak, the most common cause would be the sump plug.

And don't forget to confirm that it's actually engine oil that's leaking, and not fuel, or coolant, or ATF, etc.

The sump is plastic and I have heard that it can crack while loosening or tightening the sump drain bolt.
Maybe that is the cause of the leak?

I have always sucked the old oil out when doing an oil change so have never tried to loosen the drain bolt on either of my cars with the same engine.

Maybe take off the undertrays, clean the oil off the engine and try to see the source -- or at least identify how high on the engine is wet with oil?

Under trays are off engine was cleaned down after the oil filter housing was done then I took it to a car wash with underbody wash to try and get it as clean as I can but not been able to get under until this weekend coming. I have bought a new sump plug today and will look at that first as easiest fix then follow the oil up. When I did the oil filter housing it was damp with oil under it and looked like the seals were failing but not to the extent that is on my driveway. I did see somewhere that someone mentioned they had a leak from the sump plug and that it covered the whole of the engine at the bottom due to aero effect under the car on the motorway. Im sure I will find the leak once im under it but need some information on the job like sealing the sump and torque settings and any info on doing it like lifting the engine etc?

Its interesting that the sump is plastic. I wish cars didnt go towards plastic for engine parts but as a manufacturing cost saving I understand why they do it.

Ok so been outside in the rain and looked underneath with the car running and i can see the oil coming out between the upper sump and the block on the passenger side. There seams to be more oil residue above that but not much and im thinking an aero effect on the motorway will cause this. Need to start where I can physically see it coming out which is the upper sump.

Question is has anyone got a link to a "how to" guide as I cant find one.

Also looks like there is no washer on the sump plug but have a new one of these so can do that on sump removal.

Thanks

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom