C220d Bluetec W205 Oil spec

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Jitno123

Car
W205 C220d Bluetec
Hello all,

Sorry if this is a novice question, newbie here!

I recently purchased some oil from ECP. As usual I typed in my reg and ordered some engine oil, and an oil filter to be serviced by my local independent garage. After the service I had a full 1Litre of oil remaining which I intended to return. Reading the bottle I saw the oil met MB Spec 229.3. Upon further investigation I believe my car requires Low ash / SAPS oil, which I don't think falls under the oil I purchased. Could someone shed some light on this please.

Oil purchased : Mobil Super 3000 X1 5W-40 (5Litre + 1Litre + 1Litre)
Oil Filter : MANN Filter

Car : W205 2015 C220D Bluetec 170hp

Couple questions :
Will this spec oil ruin my dpf / shall I change the oil asap?
If the oil was incorrect, do I have any grounds to take this up with ECP?

Thanks for the help, sorry if I'm asking the obvious!

The correct oil type for your car is MB Spec Sheet 229.51. As you pointed-out, it's due to the DPF.

I don't know what damage the 229.3 oil would do to your DPF, but personally I would replace the oil with the correct one.

And it's worth giving ECP a call about this....

Thanks for the reply guys. I managed to get euro to refund me, and have since purchased the correct spec oil for them, whilst also reporting the error on their system.

My question now is, shall i purchase a new oil filter to go with my new correct spec oil - I had the oil filter replaced last Saturday 01/02/20 but the incorrect oil was used - Shall i reuse this oil filter or is it worth changing?

Thanks

Will this spec oil ruin my dpf / shall I change the oil asap?

To get this in perspective, before any harm comes from not using the correct low saps oil, the engine has to be burning oil so that the residual ash gets to the DPF and then any effect is cumulative So if the engine is in good condition and the 229.3 oil doesn't stay in too long it will likely do no harm at all.

I wouldn't bother changing the oil filter, what I would do immediately before changing the oil is unscrew the filter housing so that the oil drains down to the sump. You are never going to get every last drop of the 229.3 oil out anyway.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom