C220D Consumption- disappointingly low!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

charliefarley

Car
E400d estate
Hello

Had my facelift 220D Sport 125 Ed. Estate (manual!) for 7 weeks now and really chuffed with it so far in every way.... Except consumption.

My actual calculated consumption has been typically 40Mpg across a range of roads. Whilst I am not exactly a 'Sunday Driver', I don't really hoon it around either...

Today, I have done a 380 mile round trip on M6 & A14- with Cruise sat at 84 mph. Have brimmed the car and recorded actual consumption of 42.5mpg.

I am also conscious of comments from C250D drivers of 50+mpg.... I really don't think I could get much more than today's figure.

Should I be having a word with the supplying dealer?

(The car is now on 3.5k- so properly run in)

I suspect it will improve over time. 3.5k is no where near run in.

Hello

Had my facelift 220D Sport 125 Ed. Estate (manual!) for 7 weeks now and really chuffed with it so far in every way.... Except consumption.

My actual calculated consumption has been typically 40Mpg across a range of roads. Whilst I am not exactly a 'Sunday Driver', I don't really hoon it around either...

Today, I have done a 380 mile round trip on M6 & A14- with Cruise sat at 84 mph. Have brimmed the car and recorded actual consumption of 42.5mpg.

I am also conscious of comments from C250D drivers of 50+mpg.... I really don't think I could get much more than today's figure.

Try cutting your cruising speed by 5-10 mph

You will almost certainly see a dramatic difference

At low speeds, most energy goes to overcoming weight.

At higher speeds a lot more energy goes to overcoming drag.

So a 10% increase in speed can require a 33% increase in power to achieve it. So even a small reduction in speed will have a signifncant impact on fuel usage.

Wouldn't you be happy with low fuel consumption?

I really don't think I could get much more than today's figure.

Sorry to sound short, but have you considered driving at the legal speed limit of 70mph?

The average speed in the extra urban test is 39mph.
The average speed in the urban test is 12mph.

It's not so surprising you fail to achieve the claimed fuel economy figures with your average speed.

Sounds similar to mine from the 250cdi, obc reading 42.8mpg after 7500 miles. 75% of which is at 80 - 90 on the motorway

pjs said:
Sounds similar to mine from the 250cdi, obc reading 42.8mpg after 7500 miles. 75% of which is at 80 - 90 on the motorway

Which is really good for high speed driving. Driving at the limit or say 75 would see that knocking on for 50mpg

At those kind of speeds I would regularly see over 40mpg in my S class, would expect more efficiency in a smaller car?

lewyboy said:
At those kind of speeds I would regularly see over 40mpg in my S class, would expect more efficiency in a smaller car?

You have an EU3 engine that whilst more dirty is much more efficient because of that. I also suspect the 220 is much more slippery a car as all cars have good efficiency in that body and high top speeds for the power outputs made

The 84mph cruise is killing the mpg.

When I did a trip to Norfolk and back I averaged a comfortable 50mpg (real) cruising at 70mph in our Auto for the 300mile bit.

The tank average was 45.6mpg including all the other journeys.

Our car averages 40 mpg but that's likely to drop now as I do mostly running around and alot of short trips with only one 100 mile motorway trip per tank on average.

Wouldn't you be happy with low fuel consumption?
Very good point!!!!
Should read disappointingly high!

As said by a few above- hopefully things might improve with mileage. A few have commented that I should set Cruise a few Mh lower. I have a 280 mile round-trip today, so will give that a shot.

Just a tad disappointed overall with real-world consumption. The nature of the Merc vs. my previous A4 means I tend to drive it more smoothly anyway...

Time will tell!

I'm wondering how much the stop/start plays a part in the official mpg figures - and unless you hit traffic, then I doubt the stop/start kicks in much on the motorway...

Hello

YAWN- aren't we all fed up with this perennial gripe! Go and buy a new Polo and stick to 70 mph.

I'm wondering how much the stop/start plays a part in the official mpg figures - and unless you hit traffic, then I doubt the stop/start kicks in much on the motorway...

I believe that approximately 1/3rd of the urban cycle test is at 0mph.

Hello

I think the 42.5MPG figure is there or thereabouts, although perhaps a tad disappoining for a manual. I wonder if the estate runs a lower final drive ratio than saloon?

Using cruise doesn't produce the best economy, but it's probably more reliable at limiting speed than not using it. As other have said, 84 is probably a bit too fast, and presumeably, especially on the A14, there is some slowing down and speeding up again, as well as roundabouts etc.

re the '3.5K miles so run in' comment - others will say MPG should improve but we used to run company cars over 2yrs 60K and it made little difference. If anything MPG got worse as they got older but we put that down to them being driven harder as they got older.

FamilyPack said:

Once they get a few years old they conk out on the motorway anyway

I did 240 miles yesterday (E220 Estate) - all but 15 on the motorway - had cruise on at 72 on the way down and was nudging 50 mpg, 80 on the way back saw 43mpg.

Cruising much over 80 brings it down even more.

To give you something to compare to... when I 'cruise' at ~85mph I see 48mpg, from a 1.4tdi polo, but its obviously revving at around 3.5k rpm. If I cruise at 70mph I see around 55-60mpg depending on weather and other conditions etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom