C230 W203 Cambelt or chain?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

bigmacplease

Car
W245 B170 & R170 SLK320
Helloooo

I have a facelift C230 Komp and I would like to know if it has a cambelt or if its chain driven. I can see a large belt at the front of the engine is this the cambelt or just for the supercharger?

What are the replacement intervals on belts/chains?

Thanx for any info!!

Mike :rock:

as long as there is a 3 pointed star on the bonnet, it is a chain and there is no replacement interval until it goes kaput

Helloooo

I have a facelift C230 Komp and I would like to know if it has a cambelt or if its chain driven. I can see a large belt at the front of the engine is this the cambelt or just for the supercharger?

What are the replacement intervals on belts/chains?

Thanx for any info!!

Mike :rock:

if you can see your cam belt/chain, then your engine has exploded.
what you see is a poly v- belt driving your alternator, pump, a/c and power steering

I missed the serpentine belt bit (sleepy now)

The serpentine belt that drives the alternator and etc should go 40k plus,, just look where it goes round the pulleys to see for any small cracking and that none of the webbing is coming away

only to say that on kompressor engine (at least on W202) you have 2 serpentine belt, becaus one include also the kompressor pulley.

I've changed mines and it's quite easy :)

I think we had a car recently where the out edge of the belt frayed and made a hole in the rad. As said earlier cracking can be seen where the belt is round a pulley, the inside can be seen on a long side. Any sign of it getting frayed, then change it quick as degradation is fast once it starts.

As you will need 2 at some point in time, why not carry two with you. Keep them in a sealed plastic bag and they will keep like new.

Thanx for all the replies :) Its nice to know that it has a chain. I was always a little paranoid about cambelts snapping! I will keep an eye on the other belt it looks in great nick at the mo :D

Thanx again!!!

Before it does go, make a sketch of the route it takes around the pulleys.
This could save you a lot of time at a later date.;)

Thanx for that! I never really thought about changing it myself but there does seem to be plenty of space to get in there. :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom