C230k advice!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gina2201

MB Enthusiast
Car
Audi A4 Quattro Avant S-Line
As mentioned in previous thread, I was looking at buying a C230k Sport.

Here's a link
http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&ih=003&sspagename=STRK%3AMEWA%3AIT&viewitem=&item=130075865609&rd=1&rd=1

I have just rung the garage, it is in excellent condition inside/out, all electrics work BUT has no service history with it, they purchased it with just the log book. They offer a 1 year warranty "mechanical breakdown" (will ask exactly what that includes if I see it) and they will put 12 Months MOT on it if I buy it. No tax either.

Should I avoid because of the lack of SH or give it a look?

For £2175 it sounds a good price, (they are having a "sale" and dropped by £500) but what shoud I do? Will also look at the autotrader tomorrow!!

Last edited:
mileage seems a bit low. also the warranty is probably something you can buy from the AA for about £50 whereby they contribute a certain amount towards repairs and not full costs.

did they tell you where the car was sourced? I suppose you could check the logbook and see if you can get in contact with the previous owner.

Well the mileage is low for a 1996 car, with no history, The steering wheel is very shiney for 82k and its had 5+ previous owners. Also as said the warrenty is probably not worth the paper its written on. I know you are after a car ASAP, I would do some more searching, keep them coming though...:)

EDIT :- Just noticed, didn't Sport models come with white dials???

Last edited:
I would give anything that has no history as miss as its likely that its been clocked or poorly maintained.

That car needs to lose the AMG badge.:crazy:
It looks especially stupid with a sport badge stuck right underneath it.

Last edited:
Agree about the badges but the car as a whole? As it's near 200 miles away don't wanna make a wasted trip!

Cheers people, I'm almost fed up of trying to find a car now...!

Where abouts is the car.
I expect, if you ask nicely, another member on here would go and check it out for you;)

Believe it is in Birmingham, 176 miles from me down here in Plymouth end of the country!

There are plenty of members around that area who know their stuff.
You could try Jaymanek.
He's a helpful chap.

Last edited:
Hmmm, would feel a bit cheeky though asking someone to do that! (I'm too polite!) If anyone fancies it they would be doing me a HUGE favour, if it is still for sale as I like the look of it alot! There is rarely anything nice down my way.....

Last edited:
very nice also! Thanks, so many cars out there it's hard work trying to find one!
manchester is quite far away from me and 180k not too much mileage (i know merc engines go on forever though!)

Yeah it was only an example of a diesel model, not a very good one I know, the question was, will you consider a diesel? Did you want a manual? as these can be harder to sell on... Don't feel cheeky about asking someone to have a look at a car, we all help each other out when we can...;)

Thanks, I'm not too concerned regarding manual/auto, or petrol/diesel either there just seems to be more petrol ones out there! I would like to have fair mpg and just a bit of power in reserve if you know what I mean, my c200 wasn't exactly slow but just a little bit more punch if you get what I mean?

Thanks! I have left a message regarding the c280, so awaiting a phone call.....!

Also what would a C280 be like on fuel (just comparing!) would it be the case that the bigger engine more fuel or more power, less need to put foot down?

Not too worried though, I have my mind/heart set on one now!

Last edited:
Thanks, I'm not too concerned regarding manual/auto, or petrol/diesel either there just seems to be more petrol ones out there! I would like to have fair mpg and just a bit of power in reserve if you know what I mean, my c200 wasn't exactly slow but just a little bit more punch if you get what I mean?

Thanks! I have left a message regarding the c280, so awaiting a phone call.....!

Also what would a C280 be like on fuel (just comparing!) would it be the case that the bigger engine more fuel or more power, less need to put foot down?

C280 does about 25-28 mpg on paper and is a insurance group 15/16 depending on model, I would imagine it is quite a beast although I have never driven one...

That sounds alright to me, better than that jeep I had! Thanks very much, everyone is really helpful on here and astonished how quick the replies come rolling in, fantastic! I shall keep you updated on the car situation!

When you talk to a seller, see if you can get the VIN off them (claim it is for an HPI check) and then fire it into here: http://www.mbclub.ru/mb/vin/?lng=eng

You can check the spec of the car from when it rolled off the production line and compare it with the current condition.

Unless you are really desperate for a manual model I'd always go for an auto. The manual models are worth slightly less and can be tricky to sell on (hint: might be able to talk-down a manual model ;) ).

Good luck with your search!

19mpg pootling about town and 29 on a good run

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom