C230K Battery Woe

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

DITTRICH

MB Enthusiast
Car
S205 C200SE & W202 C230K
Yesterday my 100Ah varta battery gave up living after 8y3m (it was the original battery supplied with the car). I had noticed that starting was becoming more of an effort over the summer and I guess that the increased demands of batteries during the winter and the colder days have put the last nail in its coffin. The bloke who helped me start the car tested the alternator to see if the battery was charging once started - it was. The new battery cost me £109.99 from MB in Stratford. I managed (and for me who knows less than nothing about cars) to fit it myself after they suggested I might like to pay one of their technicians to fit it for me! I learned several things...

1 The battery weighs a ton. Those little plastic handles are useless.
Lead, I suppose... and alot of it.
2 There is a little clear plastic tube from the battery for venting gases outside the boot. Almost forgot that one.
3 The battery is clamped into the boot. Wasn't expecting that.
4 On reconnecting my one-touch window facility is not working. I must do a search for the resetting method.
5 The battery comes fully charged and I just had to connect it up myself (the red end first I was told)(you can tell I never bought a battery before!)
6 The plastic plug which lifts the boot carpet can hook onto the upper boot sill. Very convenient. Never noticed that before!
7 MB will take the old battery and dispose of it for you.

Question? Is 8y3m a good life for a battery? The new one is guaranteed for 2 years.

MB Stratford appear to be doing deal on servicing older cars. Apparently a B service was around £360 (inclusive I think) and the guy mumbled something about parts 15% discount and 33% labour rate discount. I enquired about booking in the car and they said it could be done any day same day. No waiting list. So not much business there hence the deal. I think I will try them for the B service.

Finally, if you put their postcode into your satnav you might end up at the olympic park construction site! You need to input the street "Rick Roberts Way". Guess how I know that!

So not a completely wasted morning.

Les

In my experience 8 years plus for an original battery is excellent. Original batteries seem to last longer (I don't know why, maybe there is an explanation, or maybe it is just my imagination).

I will be surprised if your new one lasts that long.

8 years is a good life for a battery.
I changed mine this year as it was not holding sufficient charge if left for several says and only short journeys. The battery was made week 37 of 1999 so about the same life.

To reset the windows press the switch to the first position and hold for 3 secs after the window reaches the botom, repeat for the upward direction.

Iac Battery

You might have got your bona-fide MB battery cheaper thro a mercedes commercial outlet as others have done on the forum, or alternatively bought a Varta from the many agents around. GOOD CHOICE OF MAKE HOWEVER.:rock: 5 years is probably a good battery life so you have done well. With todays cars so dependant on electronic systems I feel this should be a service advisory item after 3 years anyway. would save an awful lot of heartache and recovery call outs. I will be interested to see how the new Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery +Auto Start-Stop Function on the new minis works in practice.http://www.gizmag.com/go/7365/

I will be interested to see how the new Intelligent Alternator Control (IAC) and an Absorbent Glass Mat battery +Auto Start-Stop Function on the new minis works in practice.

Probably pretty well, Glass Mat batteries are poles apart from Wet Lead Acid that we have on our cars.

The new nano batteries are set to have a 12 year lifespan even when used on high drain electric cars.

Wet Lead Acid batteries are used by car makers because they are cheap and low tech, which doesn't matter because they are being constantly recharged by the car engine.

Probably pretty well, Glass Mat batteries are poles apart from Wet Lead Acid that we have on our cars.

We do have AGLM batteries on our cars, though in theory they are supposed to last longer, in practice they do not. 5 years and we are replacing them

Is that for the auxillary battery for the SBC equipped cars? Most of us still just have a single Wet Lead battery for starting.

The commercial outlet save money option did flash through my mind but it was a question of getting sorted quickly. MB Stratford are very close to me and had one in stock. The nearest commericals outlet was some further distance away and I didn't have the confidence to buy an OEM one of the correct spec from a retail outlet.
Les

Is that for the auxillary battery for the SBC equipped cars? Most of us still just have a single Wet Lead battery for starting.

On the SL the little starter battery is lead, and the rest of the car runs on the AGLM battery a 70AH . There are other models that use one

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom