C230K exhaust replacement, forum advice.

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Grey Area

Car
'98 W202 C230K/BMW E46 330i !!
Howdo GA?

Can't advise on either of the above but I've always heard good reports on Longlife in general but then again it's all down to the particular fitters/dealer doing the work.

What exactly are you getting done? I ask as I had my car inspected for a CAT delete, bolt-on/ bolt-off job so no probems with the MOT. No issues to do it or fitting slightly larger diameter back box tips replicating the original shape.

I'm well, thanks JJJ, been a while since I visited though!

Yeah, a few people seem to have had problems with both longlife and powerflow at some point, but I guess you can't please all the people all the time :) was leaning towards the guys at power and performance, solely because they were recommended by my indie.

I'm thinking stainless steel straight through with a bolt on/off section to replace the cats if needed. I've already got a c36 back box so I'll need that welding on to whatever pipework I have done.
The current exhaust is original and now 17 years old, so the whole thing really needs replacing and I thought whilst I'm there I might as well get the cats done.

Ah, you were missed ;)

You should get a nice sound from that set up plus a good weight reduction - the Cats & centre box together have got to weigh a fair bit. I have the centre box deleted, just a straight pipe in it's place giving a nice 'growl' but not too loud and importantly a saving of 6'ish Kg.

I think I'd go with what your indie advised. Get up a few photos when completed.

<On topic> Yeah, the back box fell off the pipe the other day (some minor corrosion is suspected :rolleyes:) It now sounds like nothing else and not in a good way, but with it in place I think the sound will be ok. As for weight loss, it all helps i suppose but that c36 box is a heavy old beast! Wouldn't consider getting rid though as I think those tips combined with the c36 bumper fix the rear end of the 230K which is the part that really lets it down IMO.

<Off topic>Lol, ta, it's good to be back already. Just been reading your 'rough rough' thread, as always it was both inspirational and slightly guilt inducing (i've been unbelievably lax with the car for the last 6/8 months!). Glad there's at least one other person who thinks the old 230k is worth throwing good money at :) was also perusing your WMI thread with some interest, can't wait to see how that all turns out. keep up the good work :thumb:

Cheers, GA. Don't worry I'm lax too and the proof is just writing lists of to do's! Yes, I'm with you there, C230K's are worth the effort provided one doesn't count the cost :doh: In all honestly I've never had to make a major send, just bits here and there. I'm sure it all adds up but it's all rather painless. The WMI is a long term modification that will hopefully be completed, don't hold your breath as I saw a few nice cars for sale last weekend :D

True, I've not really had anything too bad go wrong (tempting fate I'm sure).
Ha, I've been considering a CL55 for a while now also, but luckily I've been persuaded to save my money for something infinitely more sensible :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom