C230K Pulley Machining Down ??????

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Brett, my understanding is to initially increase the Crank pulley size to gain extra boost pressure and a machined S/c pulley is best used when the S/c has been ported in conjunction with a larger Crank pulley & Intercooler etc.

P.s. have a look at the R170 forum on www.Benzworld.org , search threads by Subby.

Last edited:
I had a look at the spec's for machining down the S/C pulley. It seems the most common practice is to take the pulley from it's original 94mm to 87mm and that's possibly what the advertiser does above. 2 psi is not to be sniffed and 3psi? would great if correct especially considering our S/C's in standard form produce something like 6-6.5 psi max.

It might be well worth doing (very simple and cheap too) instead of fitting the far more common oversize Crankshaft pulley and which I think usually gives a better increase in boost pressure, possibly 3.5-4 psi which I can verify as mine is producing 10psi in total.

HTH.

Last edited:
Thanks,

Can i confirm my understanding of these things ?

To get the actual SC spline rotating faster you can either make the crank pulley larger or the S/C pulley smaller ?

2 psi will do me - im not bothered about BHP just a bit more kick will be fine.

Do you think the ECU will be able to keep up an extra 2 psi as i have a very early car and the chances of remapping are zero ?

Thanks,

Can i confirm my understanding of these things ?

To get the actual SC spline rotating faster you can either make the crank pulley larger or the S/C pulley smaller ?

2 psi will do me - im not bothered about BHP just a bit more kick will be fine.

Do you think the ECU will be able to keep up an extra 2 psi as i have a very early car and the chances of remapping are zero ?

Yep, larger Crankshaft pulley or smaller S/C pulley. As for the ECU, I'm not the one to ask but at the same time I wouldn't be worried in the slightest.

Just one other thing, if you do go the route of fitting the smaller S/C pulley I'd buy a new belt at a minimum, consider a new belt tensioner too.

Hi all, new to this forum after hearing my gumtree add had made it onto here

In regards to some of the comments, all my cars I have used them on have seen a 3psi increase, it doesnt matter if you do this or the crank Pulley first, which just by bolting the Pulley on made a huge improvement to how the car performed. Also the ecu does not need to be mapped or played around with either in order for this to work, it's simply bolt on and enjoy

If anyone would be interested in one let me know, I've been playing around with these engine a while now and have had some pretty good results so any question just ask and I will help as best as I can, will be posting up my car and spec list very soon

In regards to some of the comments, all my cars I have used them on have seen a 3psi increase,

Hello Drifter. Nice to have another C230K owner on here.

The reason I questioned the actual amount of boost pressure increase was that your advert stated '' increases the boost by 2-3psi '', not a definitive 3psi.
Still, it's a great modification and great value too.

P.s. Do post up the spec of your car, I'd be most interested as I've been messing around with my one from time to time.

Last edited:
Welcome aboard mate. It was me that messaged you.

Im still trying to sort a spare sc pulley then will be in touch.

I have a prefacelift can anyone confirm which sc I actually have so I can make sure I get the correct pulley ?

You have an Eaton M62, with the clutch operation pulley. It's the same as the one pictured in the advert.

My local scrappy has a 170 slk I'm not sure of the age but has the later square "box" pipework is this likely to have the non clutch pulley ?

Brett, I'm not too sure. Sounds like it's a late model R170 possibly with an Eaton M45 S/C fitted (non clutch type). You'll know by looking at the S/C as you can clearly see if it's a clutch pulley or not.

Edit: I just did a quick but not comprehensive check and all R170 2.3 Kompressors seem to be fitted with the M111 and the M62 S/C. If my info is correct that scrapper will have right pulley for your car.

Edit again! Had another look on the net and it seems that the later R170 230K did come with non clutched M45 S/C. Suspect you are right about that scrapper.

Last edited:
I've got a smaller sc pulley and larger crank pulley sc is also ported and polished it runs 11psi boost.

Mine is an early car 1997 and had to be remapped as the ecu couldn't handle it. To remap you need to unsolder the chip map and solder it back in again not for the faint hearted and need less to say I didn't do it but fortunate enough to have one of the UK best mappers two miles down the road.

That's more than I'd need ! I'm just hoping for a bit more boost, don't want to go too far to end up having to chip

That's more than I'd need ! I'm just hoping for a bit more boost, don't want to go too far to end up having to chip

Your cheapest way then is oversized crank pulley from abp motorsport in the USA which will give you 2 -3 psi extra

butler23 said:
I should really be doing this myself at the moment tbh as i have my supercharger and crank pulley off!
I fitted an Eaton off of an SlK on my T4 and made my own pulleys and you need quite a good lathe to get the 4.53 pitch or whatever it was between grooves right! I seem to remember spending a while faffing about grinding tool steel to the right angle, so you can lose a bit of time just setting it all up.

Last edited:
Hi mate can u machine down the pulleys still ?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom