C230K strange noise!

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Cornerlea

Hi all, first time poster - please be gentle with me.

Problem is a noise coming from the front of the car when driving, not while stationary under revs. Sounds like something is rubbing/vibrating/grinding. Only heard above 20mph. I have had the car on an inspection ramp and can't find anything obvious. Could be a wheel bearing on it's way out but does not sound like one.....

Are there any common faults with this type of car I should be thinking about? It's a C230K, 2001 71K miles and fully serviced up to date by dealer.

Thanks

Welcome to the forum Cornerlea.

Not sure how much help I can be but there are some very knowledgeable types who might have the answers I'm sure.

Have you had in the suspension/tracking looked at? I've read reports of broken springs and whilst this might not cause rubbing, it may help produce some other effects.

Good luck getting it sorted.

RC

Last edited:
A broken spring is common. Jack the car up and turn the wheel so you can inspect it.

A broken spring is common. Jack the car up and turn the wheel so you can inspect it.

Please be careful here.:eek:

Jack up both sides of the front, or a centre jack that allows both wheels to be safely off the ground, before turning the steering wheel to move the wheels from left to right to inspect the springs or any other feature.

If you dont jack up both wheels then when you turn the wheels the jack MAY MOVE.:crazy:

Thanks for your posts folks, it's not a broken spring, and I have looked a both of the wheel bearings which are well greased and seem to be in good order. to be honest I am a bit stumped - feel a trip to the dealer coming on....!

Might be a long shot but look at your crank shaft pulley, is the rubber deteriorating?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom