C230k

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glenn Smith

Car
2000 c230k estate
I drove our W202 230k over the weekend and was reminded what a fantastic car it is to drive, i don't drive it that much as i have the van and the XJ6, despite the cars 147000 miles it still feels really tight, if you know what i mean? Performance from the supercharged motor is effortless (although not silent, but does give a satisfying roar) gearbox still smooth as silk, i found a straight bit of dual carrigeway, squeezed the throttle and left everything behind. I also did a fuel consumption check and it worked out to 32mpg, neither of us drive with economy in mind, so apart from the body work we are very pleased with the car, we've had it nearly three years and it still impresses.
This leaves us with a problem, what do i buy next? as the later c class, from 03, are galvanised (i'm led to believe) i'm happy to buy one, but which engine? is the later c230k engine as good as the old (i doubt it as it's only 1.8ltr) has anyone had experience changing from the old to the newer supercharged engines, i can't imagine them being as torquey, and i imagine the v6 240 and 320 will be thirsty.

Cheers

you're are right the 230k is, in my personal opinion, over any newer Mercedes kompressor unit.

I loved my 202 c230k aswell.

Awesome motor and built to last unlike the new skool of mercs. Miss it dearly!

I would have had to drive C320, but nothing inspired me as being the obvious replacement in the w203 range.

Agree with Graham - C230K was almost a loophole in the lineup. Nearly 200bhp and plenty of torque. Reasonable running costs and insurance.

If you want to stay with a 'C', a C270CDI or C320 would be worth looking at :)

Will

Agree with Graham - C230K was almost a loophole in the lineup. Nearly 200bhp and plenty of torque. Reasonable running costs and insurance.

If you want to stay with a 'C', a C270CDI or C320 would be worth looking at :)

Will

in fact I passed to a C270cdi, it's a good engine

Is the 230K engine in the C Coupe "only" 1.8L:confused:

I'm not sure, i get a bit confused with the badging these days, i think the "old" 2.3 unit was carried over to the new models initialy then replaced, don't quote me on that though.

Thanks for all your suggestions and comments, as i suspected not an easy answer, such an effective use of the supercharger and a very underated car, i think i'll keep it for now and maybe test drive a 270cdi and a 320 petrol.

203 230K was only with the Sports Coupe. If you're thinking new(ish) then maybe the new 230 V6 (non-supercharged) that came out in 2005. The old 240 V6 has been known to be thirsty.

I've got the 230K as well and it's a fantastic car :)

Can you not just sort the bodywork out? Mine's got a few spots of rust but its cheaper to get them sorted and keep a car you love than get a new one...... then again, im 21 and my other car's not an XJ6!!

I've got the 230K as well and it's a fantastic car :)

Can you not just sort the bodywork out? Mine's got a few spots of rust but its cheaper to get them sorted and keep a car you love than get a new one...... then again, im 21 and my other car's not an XJ6!!

Well you say that, fortunatley mercedes have been paying for the rust repairs so far, but i service myself so don't expect to keep getting that kind of warranty/goodwill and last time it went in it cost more than the XJ6 cost me to buy (i saw the final bill), but i do agree, i will keep if i can't find a worthy replacement, ie bags of torque, 193bhp, and 30+mpg.

203 230K was only with the Sports Coupe. If you're thinking new(ish) then maybe the new 230 V6 (non-supercharged) that came out in 2005. The old 240 V6 has been known to be thirsty.

Not cheap enough for me, i usually buy high mileage around 3-4yrs old, so most of the depreciation has gone, i do all my own servicing/repairs so am willing to take the risks associated with the higher mileage cars (provided they are cheap enough, the c230 was half the book price when i bought it)

Hi Wolfman ,

What will you be looking for when you come to sell it ? price wise ?

I don't mind high miles either ....

Obviously, W202 Wagon C230k gets my vote (and I am only selling as I don't drive it enough either!!!). :(

Ouch! been quoted £500 to sort all of mine out so it's not too bad for me. Mine's the saloon version, '97 (R reg.) ......

.....how do you get Merc. to pay for the rust? Does it have to have been serviced by them since new etc?

Just thought I should add that I have owned both!

The 320 is nice, smooth and slick but in all honesty, I preffered the 230k. The overall build quality of my 202 was awesome compared to the 203. No rust on my 96 p plate compared to rust on the boot, pillars and engine bay on the 203. Numerous problems with electrics on the 203 aswell as daft repairs... I spent very little on maintannace on the 230k in nearly 4 years of ownership other than oil changes and front ball joints. The interior was still like new and the engine was mint having done nearly 120k before its demise...

Loved the supercharger and it was good on petrol! I used to get around 220 miles out of my 320 and more out of the 230k iirc. It was a manual though... and you needed a strong left leg! Had presence and looked subtle with 17in amgs.... How I miss it..

Would buy another in a heartbeat!

Ouch! been quoted £500 to sort all of mine out so it's not too bad for me. Mine's the saloon version, '97 (R reg.) ......

.....how do you get Merc. to pay for the rust? Does it have to have been serviced by them since new etc?

Search the threads under bodywork, there's plenty there, but you will struggle with a 97 car, 98on had the 30yr warranty. mines been in 3 times for repairs, last time had two new wings, repairs to all four doors and tailgate (second time, as new one went rusty) repairs to sills, rear doglegs (lower part of front of rear arch)

mines been in 3 times for repairs, last time had two new wings, repairs to all four doors and tailgate (second time, as new one went rusty) repairs to sills, rear doglegs (lower part of front of rear arch)

Bloody hell! Is it worth me bothering with the rust i'v got? Im worried about going outside now incase my car's rusted into pieces and washed away :eek:

All i've got is a patch on the door, a bit on all the arches and a tad round the rear numberplate.

As for trading the car in, there seems to be a lot of love for the 230K, you might have to ignore the repair probs and just test drive some newer models till you find something you like :)

I believe the process is - repair the rust => sell car quick.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom