C240 Sport? Any Good?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Glideman

Car
1993 E220 Estate
I'm thinking of changing my E for a C Class, don't need the room in the E Class TE any more. I like the idea of a bit more power and want leather & Air con, I've seen a nice one at a local dealer but I don't know too much about the C Class. If anyone has any advice I'd be very greatful. What kind of MPG's are people getting from these cars in the reall world, never trust manufacturers figures.

Spec. . .

1997 R Reg MERCEDES-BENZ C240 Sport
4 Doors,
Automatic,
Saloon,
Petrol,
81,000 miles,
Metallic Blue.
Grey Leather Trim,
ABS,
Adjustable seats,
Adjustable steering column/wheel,
Air conditioning,
Alloy wheels,
Cruise control,
Driver airbag,
Electric mirrors,
Electric windows,
Front armrest,
Immobiliser,
Passenger airbag,
Power assisted steering,
Rear armrest,
Remote locking,
Radio/Cassette,
Side airbags,
Rear headrests,
Sports seats,
Traction control,
CD Multichanger,
Service History.
EXCELLENT CONDITION

Thanks for any advice.

sounds like a nice car :)

you should average between 18-22 in the town and about low 30's on a run

What do you think of the price? is it worth the money at £4,500?

they are not bad on fuel if you don't boot it -- easily got 30 mpg cruising on the Motorway at 85mph. But if you do, the power is really quite good, and smooth too.

check whether:

a) the spark plugs have been changed, and if so, when (there are 12)?
b) the auto and torque converter oil has been changed, and if so, when?
c) there any oil leaks around the rear differential? If so, the seals need changing, and it's a big job
d) there are any oil leaks in the engine .. you sometimes get some weeping on the cam covers, but that should be it.
e) there is rust on the 'known' areas -- under the rubbers on the door frames, rear boot lock/key area, the trim and boot area just above the rear number plate, the rear wheel arches.

Last edited:
Sounds like a good price to me, have you checked it against book prices at all? Places like Honest John or Parkers Guide should be able to give you the usual asking price.

As for items to check, I agree with C240Sport97's comments above, especially with respect to the rust issues on 97-99 models.

I'm still really happy with my C240 Sport and I've had mine for approx 3 1/2 years.

If you do a forum search on C240 there'll be a load of info to hand for you.

S.

Thanks for the help guys, I'm going to have a look at it this afternoon. I'll let you know how I get on later today. Hope it's as good as it sounds ;)

Just got back from looking at this car & it was in really poor condition. The engine had a really bad vibration at 2000 revs and it was blue smoking when left ticking over for a few seconds. The owner told me he had'nt noticed any vibration.
Well, suppose I'll keep looking, but upto now I've not found anything as solid or nice to drive as the car we have, apart from a 1997 S Class I looked at a couple of weeks ago, but the running costs for something like that are scary :eek:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom