C240 SPORT - Nice but a Sluggard

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Gurpreet

I have a 2000 W C240 and it's due to go to the stealership next week for a service.

In the last 10000 miles or so, the gearbox has beome increasingly sluggish and when you need to kick down it seems to take a while before it notches down a gear or two - frustrating and dangerous and definately not sporty as the badge claims!!?? It's already been to the stealership to be checked out but they assure me they 'have run diagnostic checks' and everything is spot on? The car's covered 39k miles.

The car was purchased in April last year as a signature motor and the warranty is due to expire in April. Is there anything I should be suggesting the stealership to check or replace in this regard???

I must say I'm getting damned frustrated with it and it spoiles what is otherwise a very nice drive.

In the car's defence I do drive it probably harder than the average motorist (but not excessively), and in any event their should be no excuse in my opinion.

Advice much appreciated.

I know it sounds silly but have you tried it with the driver's floormat taken out? Sometimes a section of the woolen flootmat can slip behind the pedal and it "deadens" the movement.

Do all other gearbox functions work ok? Is it just kickdown? My last car (c230k MY99 sport/auto) had covered 137k miles, it had the same gearbox as yours and it had never had a fluid change, still worked like new (if not better) .

Had a similar problem when I first had my old C240 Sport - in my case it was that the self-adjusting throttle cable wasn't adjusting, therefore I was struggling to get near flooring it (at least that is how it was explained to me).

My Dad also had a problem with his C180 not wanting to kickdown, which the dealer adjusted at the time (afraid I don't know what caused that one, but it does seem to be quite a common problem).

For what it's worth, I always found that I would use manual gear selection far more in my C240 than I do with my C280 - it kicks down much more easily than the C240 ever did (not that it needs to do so though as often):rock:

Well it's been for the service and it turns out the gearbox problem is something do to with a control unit??
Needless to say it's going in for further investigation and thankfully any work will be under warranty (phew!!). The car also needs a new steering rack (again under warranty and at a cost of hundreds to MB) and a new xenon transmitter (again under warranty)!!!

When all this work gets done I get a new E320Cdi, and at no cost to me!!

Suffice to say I'll be renewing the warranty when it's up in July.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom