c240 waterpump

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

chatteris

My 1998 c240 needs a new waterpump, is this a simple diy job? is there anything to look out for. it looks like the pump forms the front mount for the alternator, and I am not sure how the tensioner is loosened, any tips gratefully received

Dont know about the 240 mate but ive just spent 9 hours on the same job on my 300 coupe.the tensioner on mine looks like a hole for a dipstick or something, some have or should have a plastic cap on them. It has a hexagonal head tho and you turn it anticlocwise to slacken off the auxillary belt. Its just to the right behind the thermostat housing. Im no expert but i hope this helps. neil

made a start on it today got pump off after a bit of a struggle with the fan,bit unsure now new pump came with paper gasket but my car has a rubber seal that fits in a recess on the block,without the seal there is not a lot for a paper gasket to sit on so wondering if I should put rubber seal back in with a bit of sealer and maybe use paper gasket as well or more sealer,

I would use rubber seal if it's ok and a little paste also remember to put all bolts in and then tighten up checking the seal before final tighten

old seal is intact so will reuse with some blue hylomer, there was a fair bit of play in the old pumps bearing,surprising as it was only dripping slightly when I looked at it when it started making a noise.

All back together now,car has done 116,000 miles so I suppose thats not to bad although I have had other makes go alot further without needing anything done, have been trying to decide if to trade it in as I could do with a large MPV to cart the ancient relatives around but have been dithering a bit.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom