C240's

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ebbsfleetgooner

I posted about a week or so ago about getting a c-class 180 or 200 and looked around local to me and seen nothing special or priced at silly money.

After constant trawling though the autotrader and exchange and mart web sites it seems to me that C240’s seem to offer better value.

Trouble is I am at bit worried at what the running costs of a V6 is going to be can anyone tell me what are they like on petrol or any other advice

Thanks

Paul

Must admit the thought of 170 HP is swaying me
:D

Originally posted by ebbsfleetgooner
After constant trawling though the autotrader and exchange and mart web sites it seems to me that C240’s seem to offer better value.
considered a C230k? :)

Hi mate,

Ive got a C240 for sale.

According to WhatCar, theyre supposed to do about 27 combined and 36 on motorway. I would think thats about accurate if you drive carefully in town...

If you want more info on mine, here are the details

http://mbclub.co.uk/forums/showthread.php?s=&threadid=3674

Its on ebay at the moment, gonna finish soon, but i doubt it will generate any serious people....

http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&item=2436754682&category=9855&rd=1

Let me know if your interested!

Cheers

Jay

Re: Your ad on ebaY

Contradiction?

Remember, this car is only 4 years old with one owner.

The car has had just 2 owners.

...it seems to me that C240’s seem to offer better value.

Trouble is I am at bit worried at what the running costs of a V6 is going to be can anyone tell me what are they like on petrol or any other advice...
Hi Paul,

The C240 uses a V6 lump that has twin-spark technology (yep that's 12 of the little buggers) and they're exbenzive (approx £200 to £250 parts and labour) to replace but fortunately aren't replaced that often about 60k miles if memory serves me correctly. In terms of mpg if I'm doing steady motorway cruising I can easily achieve mid 30's mpg, at the other end of the scale if I'm driving like a hooligan around town this figure can drop to 19mpg. :rolleyes: As for service costs, I bought my car back in Jan 02 with 55k miles on the clock and had an A service (minor) in approx Apr 02 which cost £135 approx, :D however, this year in Aug 03 I had a 70k mile B service (major) which set me back £950 :eek: Both services were carried out by a Mercedes dealership (stealership).

I'm still thoroughly enjoying my car and I think it's great, I'm certainly glad I bought it. Out of those other models that you list I would plump for the C240 as all the others are inline 4 cylinder models. If I were to choose other models then I'd consider the C230 Kompressor (as championed by Shude :D ), C280 or the C250 TD (turbo diesel). Although the 230K is a four pot engine it's got power that's similar in spec to the C280 whilst being more economic. If you want a good source of info on the W202 C-Class then you could try Parker's Guide.

Other things to consider; auto's and a/c are the most sought after options and hence should be very high on your 'list to haves'. Leather, climate control or cruise control would be nice to haves but not necessarily essential.

Umm, hope that helps

S.

Last edited:
Thanks for all your replies

£250 for 12 plugs TILT

I was hoping for Champagne motoring on a beer budget

I know the later C-Class uses the ASSYST to determine when it needs servicing but is there an average in how often a B service is required?

Nice one Jay but a bit over my budget

i'll try and see what 230K's are about and what prices they are going for

Last edited:
I know the later C-Class uses the ASSYST to determine when it needs servicing but is there an average in how often a B service is required?
The service intervals are roughly every 12k miles or every 24 months, whichever is the sooner. So a 'B' service would be approx every 24k miles or 4 years. Bear in mind my last 'B' service also included other maintenance tasks which pushed the price of the overall service up, e.g. new brake pads/discs & fluids, new coolant, new plugs etc.

S.

Just seen your under bonnet picture Steve, I think I can see why a plug change is 250 notes…..

And there was me hoping to do as much as I can myself

Paul

Just seen your under bonnet picture Steve, I think I can see why a plug change is 250 notes…..

And there was me hoping to do as much as I can myself

Paul
That big black plastic cover just clips on and off ;) But going back to the spark plugs... 12x at £5 = £60 and they are difficult to get at, or at least one set of six are or so I'm told. Dealerships normally allocate approx 2 hrs for the task, lets say £70/hr = £140 labour that's £200 before the tax man adds his slice of the pie too. I've been told by an independent who I trust that spark plug changes on the latter MB V6's isn't really a job for the casual DIY'er, there's also a big risk of cross threading the plugs into the engine block if you're not careful. Of course, Shude or Graham would say all the more reason to get a C230K ;)

S.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom