C250 CDI W204 Sudden Massive Oil Leak

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

danhar707

Car
Vito 639
Hi all,
Hoping someone might have an idea of the source of a huge oil leak that caused me a breakdown & recovery last night...

About 10mins into a drive last night, heard my engine suddenly make a noise I would describe as 'tappetty'. I immediately pulled over and stopped the engine... fair bit of smoke, trail of oil seen for half a mile down the road, starting at the T-junction that I had just pulled out of (quite briskly!). Back of the car covered in oil (but tailpipe is dry inside!) Opened bonnet, smoke due to oil on hot exhaust and turbo.

So I'm thinking many litres of oil dumped quite suddenly. I'm hoping I stopped the engine before any damage done. I assume the noise I heard was the hydraulic tappets going 'slack' and/or the timing chain tensioner. Can anyone comment on that?

I've been looking for the source of the leak today on the drive.... and this is proving tricky! I removed the air box and was expecting it to be a leaky turbo oil feed banjo or suchlike, but it's dry around the turbos. I think the oil is from further back. There is oil staining on the larger turbo's turbine housing; but I think that is caused by oil dripping down onto turbo off the underside of the airbox, which has lots of oil on it, mostly at the back.

I'm struggling to see where the oil has come from, partly because there is evidence of oil sprayed all over at that left / back side, near the diesel catalyst. There's a pool formed on the white plastic disc thing that is on the transmission or bell housing. I noticed a lot of oil was on/around one of the two rear circular air box mounting lugs that are on an aly bracket. I also feel quite a lot of oil around what I think is the EGR connection into the exhaust manifold - what carries oil near there? I found a spare screw lying on the undertray and it matches the type of screw used on this EGR elbow, but I can't easily see if one is missing, without taking off that bracket for the rear end of the airbox.

Any ideas where to go looking more closely?

Hoping this doesn't need to be an engine out job and hoping the engine and turbo have survived.

Attachments

• IMG_6087.jpg
    IMG_6087.jpg
    973.3 KB · Views: 61
  • IMG_6089.jpg
    IMG_6089.jpg
    504.7 KB · Views: 65
  • IMG_6091.jpg
    IMG_6091.jpg
    431.7 KB · Views: 62
  • Loose screw.jpg
    Loose screw.jpg
    171.8 KB · Views: 59
I should have added - it's a facelift 2012/62 W204 C250 CDI. I.e. OM651 engine with twin-turbos.

IMG_6104.JPG Bottom of air box - oil deposited on the sides of that corner of the air box, not just on the heat shield. I think the oil must have sprayed onto there and ran forward, then drip down onto turbo.
IMG_6102 2.jpg
View from driver side suspension turret looking at that EGR elbow thing... see oil on fabric of bulkhead and sprayed elsewhere. That torx screw in the top right exactly matches the one I found on the undertray! Hmmm

This car has done 115k mostly motorway miles and has FSH... a real shame this is! Any help appreciated.

1. Had any work been recently done? ...if so try to find out what had been ‘moved’.

2. You could coat engine in degreaser, then jetwash. Once dry, refill oil, start it up and see where it’s coming from?

1) No recent work done Flyinspanner

2) Good idea, just a bit of an expensive test - i.e I'm assuming it would have be drained again to fix whatever it was. I wonder if I could fill with some cheapo basic oil for this... and obviously replace with the good stuff if/when fix is made.

IMG_6107.jpg IMG_6106.jpg
I took away some more stuff... The backside of the air filter bracket has oil on it. Wierd as this is facing towards the bulkhead and there's nothing carrying oil that this is facing. See where the clamp is for the DPF delta pressure sensor and the splatters of oil at the top. The only thing I can think of is the dipstick?!? It doesn't seem hugely oily, but could oil have come out of the dipstick?

https://autocats.ws/manual/sdmedia/mediadb/mb_Acrobat/einf/204/einf_br204_cdi_OM651__en.pdf
Are you sure its not diesel? there are some high pressure pump lines around there. If its engine oil then the sump level should be well down. Because the timing chain is back there and from the noise the most likely cause would be a fractured/leaking timing case- very difficult to see behind the EGR VALVE assembly that runs across the back of the engine. Could you get an inspection mirror or even one of those mini usb endoscope cameras down the back of the engine ?

https://autocats.ws/manual/sdmedia/mediadb/mb_Acrobat/einf/204/einf_br204_cdi_OM651__en.pdf
Are you sure its not diesel? there are some high pressure pump lines around there. If its engine oil then the sump level should be well down. Because the timing chain is back there and from the noise the most likely cause would be a fractured/leaking timing case- very difficult to see behind the EGR VALVE assembly that runs across the back of the engine. Could you get an inspection mirror or even one of those mini usb endoscope cameras down the back of the engine ?

...great minds think alike... that's what I did today... link to separate, related thread: OM651 oil leak at rear - photo requested

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom