c250 cgi vs c250 cdi facelift 2011 model

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
My mpg on the c250 cgi is:

23.2 mpg over past 1305 miles. Average speed: 15mph.

Mostly short journeys where there is quite a bit of traffic but i do longer journeys about twice a week.

I did expect better mpg figures though. :(

Thats the only reason that would swing me to the diesel is the 369ft torque as i said ive come from m3 skylines and evo although its no where near these cars i owned i still love the idea or a torquey luxuary auto to be honest its the noise and refinement between these two in my case not too bothered about the running cost or performance as long as its classy and comfy and reasonable to run i been ise to sub 19 mpg in the last 5 years so over 40 mpg in these are twice the amount im getting on fuel.i am trying so hard to not look at the new c 63 amg lol

The torque is addictive, especially after driving a type R for a couple of years!!!

I generally get just over 30mpg on the run back and forth to work, this isnt very far and is generally driving in traffic. In the summer months this rises to around 37-38mpg. This is way better than the Honda in both instances.

On motorway runs at a steady 70-75 I get low 50's to the gallon, it is by far the most comfortable car on a long run and as everyone else has said, nice and quiet.

Its the only car I have driven to the in-laws, 200 plus miles away and feel I could turn around and drive straight back comfortably..............something I consider doing everytime I visit them to be honest!!!!:thumb:

Greg

Petrol and diesels cost the same in the MB range.

I've been looking at this very topic ... but with the C350 - wondering if I needed to stay with diesel, or if I could go petrol. I always thought petrol models were cheaper than derv units. The opposite according to MB.

C350 Estate, (petrol: £37,740.00
C350 CDI Estate (diesel) : £35,830.00

Diesel model is £1910 cheaper than the petrol model ?

C250 Estate (petrol) : £32,380.00
C250CDI Estate (diesel) : £31,920.00

A bit closer this time .. Diesel is £460 cheaper than the petrol model.

C250 CDI combined is 55MPG
C250 combined is 41MPG.

If you did 100 miles a day in each of the cars ..

100 miles in a C250 CDI, at 55MPG = 1.8 gallons @ average of £6.44 Gallon = £11.59
100 miles in a C250, at 41MPG = 2.4 gallons @ average of £6.08 Gallon = £14.60

So a C250 Diesel is cheaper to buy, and cheaper to run (excludes maintenance costs ) compared to a C250 Petrol.

I dont know about estate prices but these are the figures I got from MB website

C250 CDI - £33,920
C250 - £32,880

C350 CDI - £36,330
C350 - £36,440

All models are Saloon, Sport and automatic.

With your calculations one would be saving £3/100miles with the diesel over the petrol in the C250. Over 9000miles, this amounts to £270 savings!

In my E I was doing about 7500/year which has now reduced to 3/4000miles a year with the car not even being started Monday to Friday, about 50-80 miles on Saturdays and a 10 mile short round trip on Sunday.

Now anyone who advises me to buy a diesel just to save £140 (petrol) + £60 road tax is definitely giving me bad advice.

ChuckyYeager said:
I dont know about estate prices but these are the figures I got from MB website

C250 CDI - £33,920
C250 - £32,880

C350 CDI - £36,330
C350 - £36,440

All models are Saloon, Sport and automatic.

With your calculations one would be saving £3/100miles with the diesel over the petrol in the C250. Over 9000miles, this amounts to £270 savings!

In my E I was doing about 7500/year which has now reduced to 3/4000miles a year with the car not even being started Monday to Friday, about 50-80 miles on Saturdays and a 10 mile short round trip on Sunday.

Now anyone who advises me to buy a diesel just to save £140 (petrol) + £60 road tax is definitely giving me bad advice.

But the derv will be quicker in gear

Still undecided can any body tell me the average mpg on a full tank on c250 cgi thanks

Simply put. If your mileage is under 15k per annum then there's little or no cost advantage to the diesel. Mine is over 30k.

If you value smoothness and sound the petrol is way, way better, or get a used 350 diesel which is faster than the 350 and is the only diesel that doesn't vibrate at idle and sound like a tractor from the outside at idle. Don't expect more than 40mpg ever from the 350 unless your drive like a stereotypical nun.

Torque figures are misleading, you'll get all the diesel fans (I'm a diesel driver, not a diesel fan) going on about the 500Nm but the power figure will tell you how fast it goes, the autobox will make sure it's in the right gear to take advantage of the power. A diesel is nothing without its turbo, so any high power diesel will feel laggy compared to a petrol, especially with a manual gearbox, and the power delivery is better on the petrols. However as you're looking for an auto there's not much in it bar refinement, sound and economy.

My choice is this - manual petrol or automatic diesel. Because manual petrols are easy to drive economically by changing up at under 2000 rpm,and sportily by changing up at 6000 or more, whereas the diesels don't come on song until 1500 or more and run out at 3500-4000 so are a pain to drive quickly AND smoothly with a manual box.

Other things to consider - the diesels are heavier, expect more front tyre wear. DPFs don't like short journeys, and they take longer to warm up (because they waste less energy) which is good for costs but not so good if your commute is 5 miles and the outside temp is -5 (get heated seats).

If you value smoothness and sound the petrol is way, way better, or get a used 350 diesel which is faster than the 350 and is the only diesel that doesn't vibrate at idle and sound like a tractor from the outside at idle. Don't expect more than 40mpg ever from the 350 unless your drive like a stereotypical nun.

:thumb::thumb::thumb:

I have a brand new E220 cdi cab with the 7g + box on it. I have zero vibration when stationary. Ok that's largely due to the stop start that stops the engine at standstill, but even when that is not going (ie before it has completely warmed up) I still have no rattles and no vibration. It's a cab so you would expect to hear more outside noise, but I have only really noticed anything under acceleration from standstill and that us bearly audible. This is my first diesel after owning many cars. I do 30k miles per year, but even with lower mileage this engine would be high on my list. Twin turbo with no noticeable lag that pulls a heavy car along very well. To put this in perspective, my last car was an Audi S4 4.2 V8 cab and I honestly don't miss it. The E220 cdi strangely is a very good replacement to an outstanding car.

I've driven the new 220 twin turbo unit and whilst it's not as smooth as my V6 it's not bad at all and a big improvement over the previous 220 for refinement and low rpm pull.

Still undecided can any body tell me the average mpg on a full tank on c250 cgi thanks

A mate has had a 2010 for about 3 months & averages 30mpg over a tank(brim to brim,obc shows just over 32mpg).

I don't even know if we have an owners with a 250Cgi engine...

I think that probably tells you.

I don't do may mile either but love the fact I can get 40 plus out of such a big and powerful car.

Gone are my petrol days, I'm, even looking at the E250Cdi S212 as if that does do over 50mpg... its a great bit of kit. Similar performance to my old S211 with a 3.2 cdi engine.

Re sell will hit the petrol harder, have a look at second hand prices compared to a Cdi..

There is only one reason I bought a diesel, and this thread sums it up, the UKs unjust fear of anything petrol.

The petrol is the better car in every way I reckon.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom