C250 Diesel engine confusion

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mojomaker

Car
C Class C250d
Hello, I currently use a high miler C250 blutec diesel on a 12 plate. I average 34,000 miles a year and soon I feel the ULEZ is going to start costing me as mine isn't compliant. Looking through Autotrader I notice some C250 engines are £165 tax and a few are £30 or even £20. Stated 0-60, mpg and power outputs are all similar? I'm confused, can anyone enlighten me please on this & which is best for reliability and driving fun.
Thanks... Ade

Hello, I currently use a high miler C250 blutec diesel on a 12 plate. I average 34,000 miles a year and soon I feel the ULEZ is going to start costing me as mine isn't compliant. Looking through Autotrader I notice some C250 engines are £165 tax and a few are £30 or even £20. Stated 0-60, mpg and power outputs are all similar? I'm confused, can anyone enlighten me please on this & which is best for reliability and driving fun.
Thanks... Ade
It will be when they were registered as tax costs changed dependant on year. There was a period in time when some diesels paid £30 a year. Some were even £0.

Thanks for this. So the engines are all identical just down to tax brackets and when they were registered? Would a C250 in the higher bracket be able to be retro fitted via ECU software update to the lower tax bracket?

Thanks for this. So the engines are all identical just down to tax brackets and when they were registered? Would a C250 in the higher bracket be able to be retro fitted via ECU software update to the lower tax bracket?
Nope

It is what it is

So I spoke with MB Customer Services who gave me the email address for Mercedes-Benz Homologation Department:
So I'm just waiting back on my enquiry.

Spoke with one of the sales guys @ Lookers Maidstone who said no real world differences in driveability of various taxation classes of C250cdi models, more about how he would be looking at how each car has been looked after by the previous owner.

Which is a valid point when assessing a new purchase!

Received my reply from Homologation dept. The reason it seems for the different taxation classes lies in wheel size. 17" rims and it's £20 tax, 18" and it's higher. Although I have found the lines blur between 18 & 19 inch rims as fitted to Premium Plus models; where taxation can be £30 or £165 per year?

Maybe the cars were specced up at point of order to larger rims etc?
Anyways, I think it gives me a clearer idea of what to look out for.

Out of interest, can anyone tell me how the 17 inch wheeled C250d corners under a bit of brisk travelling compared to 18 or 19 inch, what with the higher sidewalls please?

Thanks in advance...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom