C250 MOT Wheel Bearings

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

C250JRH

Car
Mercedes C250 Sport
I just received advisories for both front wheel bearings on my s204 at the MOT.

Due to some outer edge tyre wear, I had checked the end float on the n/s wheel bearing a month or so ago prior to taking the car for a 4 wheel alignment (where it didn't need adjusting, advised to increase front tyre pressure and use a tyre with stiffer sidewall). Anyway, the end float of the hub was in spec when checked with a dial gauge. A tiny amount of movement can be felt in both hubs with cold bearings - is this normal?

If it's an advisorie I wouldn't worry about it I have heard of some places put stuff on the advisories to 'show' they have looked at it. I have a very tiny bit of play on mine but will wait till I get the noise from it then replace the pair

I personally measured the end float with a dial gauge and both sides are in spec. The play is tiny but can be felt with the leverage of the wheel. I personally think mot stations are so used to to "modern" tapered bearings that these "horse and cart" bearings on the merc throw them when cold. I bet when up to temp my bearings have no play. If I rake the play out when cold, I would b worried they would lock up when hot?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom